Measurement of Heterogeneous Recombination Probabilities in Shock Tube Simulation of Space Shuttle-Type Reentry
A critical review of shock tube techniques for measuring the heterogeneous recombination probability of atoms on space vehicle surfaces while modeling natural re-entering conditions is presented. Results of the determination of the heterogeneous recombination probability for various types of thermal protection systems of Space Shuttle-type vehicles are given and analyzed.
Key wordsHeterogeneous recombination probability Thermal protection system Space Shuttle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berkut VD, Koudriavtsev NN, Novikov SS (1986) Surface thermophysical properties due to the accommodation of chemical energy of supersonic dissociated gas flow. Report of Inst, for High Temperatures, Moscow (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Berkut VD, Doroshenko VM, Kovtun VV, Koudriavtsev NN, Novikov SS, Smirnov NV, Sharovatov AI (1989a) Measurements of the atom heterogeneous recombination probabilities on heated surfaces under supersonic stream conditions. Sov. J. Chem. Phys.(in Russian) 8, 10: 1345–1353Google Scholar
- Berkut VD, Doroshenko VM, Zhdanok SA, Kovtun VV, Koudriavtsev NN, Novikov SS, Sharovatov AI (1989b) Determination of probability of atom heterogeneous recombination on heated to high temperatures (Tw =1000 K) surfaces of solid bodies flowed by shock wave dissociated gas. 8, 30Google Scholar
- Doroshenko VM, Koudriavtsev NN, Smirnov NV (1991) Heat release on a solid surface in hypersonic flow and recombination coefficient measurements. Proc. 13-th International Colloquium on Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems, Nagoya, Japan, p. 224Google Scholar
- Rakich JV, Steward DA, Lanfranco MJ (1982) Results of a flight experiment on the catalytic efficiency of the Space Shuttle heat shield. AIAA Paper 82–944Google Scholar
- Scott CD (1980) Catalytic recombination of nitrogen and oxygen on high temperature reusable surface insulation. AIAA Paper 80–1477Google Scholar
- Steward DA, Rakich JV (1982) Catalytic surface experiments on the Space Shuttle. AIAA Paper 82–186Google Scholar
- Wood BJ, Wise H (1961) The interaction of atoms with solid surfaces. In: Proc. Raref. Gas. Dynam. Symposium N.-Y., Academic Press p. 51–59Google Scholar