Influence of Corticosteroids on Coagulation Factors
Corticosteroids (CS) are incorporated into the new ALL-BFM 90 protocol in several ways: first, alone and together with Escherichia coli-Asparaginase (coli-ASP) in the induction phase (protocol I) during blast reduction and 2nd alone and together with Erwinia-ASP without blast reduction in the consolidation phase (protocol II). Each of these variables can alter hemostasis. ASP is thought to be responsible for the coagulation changes and the thrombotic complications during treatment of patients with ALL (survey see 1). However, the results are not uniform, sometimes even contradictory . The sequential events which occur in the ALL-BFM 90 protocol enabled us to study the different factors separately. The objective of this study is to evaluate the influence of CS on hemostasis.
KeywordsLeukemia Corticosteroid Oncol Dexamethasone Doxorubicin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Pabinger-Fasching I, Lechner K, Niessner H, Bettelheim P, Neumann E, Hinterberger W, Dudczak R (1984) Severely reduced fibrinogen levels in patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and lymphatic blast crisis (CML-BC) on Prednisone (P)-Vincristine (V)-therapy. Blut 49: 33Google Scholar
- 4.Fischer M, Lechner K, Hinterberger W, Niessner H, Pabinger I, Dudczak R, Neumann E, Korninger C, Deutsch E (1985) Deficiency of fibrinogen and factor VII following treatment of severe aplastic anaemia with anti thymocyte globulin and highdose methylprednisolone. Scand J Haematol 34: 312–316PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Sunder-Plaßman G, Speiser W, Korninger C, Stain M, Bettelheim P, Pabinger-Fasching I, Lechner K (1991) Disseminated intravascular coagulation and decrease in fibrinogen levels induced by vincristine/prednisolone therapy of lymphoid blast crisis of chronic myeloid leukemia. Ann Hematol 62: 169–173CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sutor AH (1981) Reduktion der Blutungsintensität durch Prednison. In: Ludwig H, Genz HJ (Hrsg) Blutgerinnung und Gefäßwand. FK Schattauer Verlag, Stuttgart New York, pp 229–234Google Scholar
- 7.Miniero R, Pastore G, Saraco P, Messina M, Lange MM, Fiandino G, Iannacci L, Madon E (1986) Hemostatic changes in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated according to two different L-Asparaginase schedules. Amer J Pediat Hematol/Oncol 8: 116–120Google Scholar
- 11.Shapiro RS, Gerrard JM, Ramsay NK, Nesbit ME, Coccia PF, Stoddard SF, Plow EF, White JG, Krivit W (1980) Selective deficiency in collagen-induced platelet aggregation during LAsparaginase therapy. Am J Pediatr Oncol 2: 207–212Google Scholar