Cellular DNA Content as a New Prognostic Tool in Patients with Borderline Tumors of the Ovary. A Second Look
The over all survival of patients with ovarian borderline tumors has in several studies been reported as excellent, but a small fraction of patients, even in early stages, died of disease . Stage of disease is a strong prognostic parameter but not of that importance as within frankly malignant neoplasms . Histopathologic type and grade of differentiation are important prognostic factors in invasive carcinoma, with mucinous tumors doing better than the other types. Cellular atypia have been suggested of prognostic importance in borderline tumors [Russel 1984], but such grading is highly subjective and difficult to reproduce and standardize and not clearly related to the clinical outcome and therefore of limit value in prediction of individualized prognosis [3, 4, 5].
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fox H., Burghardt E.: Prognostic indices in ovarian tumours of borderline malignancy with particular reference to morphometric analysis. In: Ovarian cancer by Tattersall M.H.: 69–101, 1988Google Scholar
- 3.Russell P.: The pathological assesments of ovarian neoplasms II. The prolifering epithelial tumours. Pathology 11: 259–282,1979Google Scholar
- 4.Fox H.: Ovarian tumors of borderline malignancy. Progress in Cancer Research and Therapy 24: 137–150, 1983Google Scholar
- 11.Hedley D.W., Friedlander M.L.. Taylor I.W., Rugg C.A., Musgrove E.A.: Method for analysis of cellular DNA content of paraffin embedded pathological material using flow cytometry. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 31: 1333–1335,1983Google Scholar
- 12.Fosså S.D., Thorud E., Shoaib M.C., Pettersen E.O., Hoie J., Scott-Knudsen O.: DNA flow cytometry in primary breast carcinoma. Acta. Pathol. Microbiol. Immunol. Scand. Sect. 92: 475–480,1984Google Scholar
- 16.Tarone R.E., Ware J.: On distribution-free tests for equality of survival distributions. Bio- metrika 64: 156–160,1977Google Scholar
- 17.Kærn J., Tropé C., Abeler V.M.: A retrospective study of 370 borderline tumors of the ovary treated at The Norwegian Radium Hospital 1970–1982: A review of clinicopatholo- gical features and treatment modalities. Submitted 1991Google Scholar
- 18.Friedlander M.L., Russel P., Taylor I.W., Hedley D.W. Tattersall M.H.N.: Flow cytometric analysis of cellular DNA content as an adjunct to the diagnosis of ovarian tumours of borderline malignancy. Path.: 301–306,1984Google Scholar