Integrating Chemical Structures into an Extended Relational Database System
This paper proposes extensions to the relational database model that allow chemical structure and other complex data types to be included in a relational database. It is argued that this approach provides benefits over the common practice of storing chemical structures in a chemical database system and associated research data in a relational or other general database system. The design, implementation, and usage patterns of an extended relational system are discussed in the context of the Upjohn Cousin compound information system. Emerging extensibility features that support the proposed approach within commercially available database systems are reviewed.
KeywordsRegistry Number Character String Original Query Full Structure Abstract Data Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahrens, E. K. F. ‘Customisation for Chemical Database Applications’. In Chemical Structures: The International Language of Chemistry; Warr, W.A., Ed.; Springer- Verlag: Berlin, 1988; pp. 97–111.Google Scholar
- 2.Hagadone, T. R. ‘Current Approaches and New Directions in the Management of In- House Chemical Structure Databases’. In Chemical Structures: The International Language of Chemistry; Warr, W.A., Ed.; Springer-Verlag: Berlin, 1988; pp. 23–41.Google Scholar
- 3.Database Language - SQL; Technical Committee on Database, X3H2; American National Standards Institute: New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.An Introduction to Database Systems ; Date, C.J.; 3rd Ed.; Addison-Wesley: Reading, Massachusetts, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.Stonebraker, M. ‘Inclusion of New Types in Relational Data Base Systems’. In Proceedings of IEEE/Data Engineering 1986, 262–269.Google Scholar
- 9.Barnard, J. M. ‘Problems of Substructure Search and their Solution’. In Chemical Structures: The International Language of Chemistry; Warr, W.A., Ed.; Springer- Verlag: Berlin, 1988; pp. 113–126.Google Scholar
- 10.Similarity and Clustering in Chemical Information Systems; Willett, P.; Research Studies Press: Letchworth, 1987.Google Scholar
- 13.Carey, M., Ed. ‘Special Issue on Extensible Database Systems’. Database Engineering, 1987.Google Scholar