Transformation in Solanum melongena L. (Eggplant)
Eggplant (Solanum melogena L.) (2n = 24) belongs to the Solanaceae family. It is a biennial with a moderately extensive root system. Mature plants display a branched main stem with a woody base. Leaves are simple, alternate, and large. The violet or purple flowers, single or in cluster opposite the leaves, are hermaphroditic. Eggplant is mostly an autogamous species, the amount of cross-pollination ranging between 6 and 20% when plots are less than 50 m apart. Fruits at maturity vary in size (7.5 to 15 cm diameter), shape (long, ovate or pyriform), and color (dark purple to white). Descriptions for eggplant have been published by the International Board for Plant Genetic Resources, Rome.
KeywordsSomatic Embryo Somatic Embryogenesis Agrobacterium Strain Solanum Melongena Chromosomal Background
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guri A, Sink KC (1988) Agrobacterium transformation of eggplant. J Plant Physiol 133:52–55.Google Scholar
- Hidaka T, Omura M, Ugaki M, Tomiyama M, Kato A, Oshima M, Motoyoshi K (1990) Agrobacterium-mediated transformation and regeneration of Citrus spp. from suspension cells. Jpn J Breed 40:199–207.Google Scholar
- Lurquain PF (1989) Uptake and integration of exogenous DNA in plants. In: Bajaj YPS (ed) Biotechnology in agriculture and forestry, vol 9. Plant protoplasts and genetic engineering II. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 54–74.Google Scholar
- Simpson J, Herrera-Estrella L (1989) DNA recombinants and transformation of agricultural crops. In: Bajaj YPS (ed) Biotechnology in agriculture and forestry, vol 9. Plant protoplasts and genetic engineering II. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 75–98.Google Scholar
- Vancanneyt G, Schmidt R, O’Connor-Sanchez A, Willmitzer R, Rocha-Sosa M (1990) Construction of an intron marker gene: splicing of the intron in transgenic plants and its use in monitoring early events in Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Mol Gen Genet 220:245–250.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar