Length Scales and the Navier-Stokes Equations
Despite the lack of a regularity proof for the 3d Navier-Stokes equations, it is an interesting and important question whether it can be shown that large fluctuations or excursions away from temporal and spatial averages can occur. If it can be demonstrated that the Navier-Stokes equations allow such fluctuations away from averages, then these must have narrow spatial and temporal bandwidths and the width of these will give information about the smallest scale in the flow. Any numerical scheme must ‘resolve’ these spikes to get an accurate representation of the flow. The question of the smallest length scale is the topic of this paper.
KeywordsSmall Length Scale Periodic Domain Weak Turbulence Lyapunov Dimension Infinite Dimensional Dynamical System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Foins and G. Prodi. Sur le comportement global des solutions non-stationnaires des equations de navier-stokes en dimension 2. Rendiconti di Padova, 1:1, 1967.Google Scholar
- R. Temam. The Navier-Stokes Equations and Non-linear Functional Analysis. CBMSNSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics. SIAM, 1983.Google Scholar
- R. Temam. Infinite Dimensional Dynamical Systems in Mechanics and Physics, volume 68 of Springer Applied Mathematics Series. Springer, Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- P. Constantin, C. Foins, R. Temam, and B. Nicolaenko. Integral and Inertial Manifolds for Dissipative PDE’s, volume 70 of Springer Applied Mathematics Series. Springer, Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- P. Constantin and C. Foias. The Navier-Stokes Equations. Chicago University Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- P. Constantin, C. Foias, and R. Temam. Attractors Representing Turbulent Flows. Memoirs of AMS, 1985.Google Scholar
- M.V. Bartuccelli, C.R. Doering, J.D. Gibbon, and S.J.A. Maiham. Vorticity Fluctuations in the 3d Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations. In Preparation.Google Scholar
- W.D. Henshaw, H.O. Kreiss, and L.G. Reyna. Smallest Scale Estimates for the Incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations. Preprint.Google Scholar