Moral Dilemmas and Organization Design
Ethics is in. Consideration may well be given as to how and why this has happened. Possibly it is still merely something superficial, a phenomenon that we use in the struggle for attention on the market. Or possibly it is more serious. Could it be the case that for a variety of reasons our society has ended up in a situation where we must formulate new moral rules and examine whether traditional ethics are of any use in today’s situation? We are facing a watershed like the one faced a hundred years ago when people had to handle the transformation from an agricultural to an industrial society. The growing interest in matters relating to values and morals is associated with changes in working conditions.
KeywordsMigration Marketing Arena Defend Metaphor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brunsson, N.: The Organization of Hypocrisy. Talk, Decisions and Actions in Organizations, Chichester (John Wiley & Sons) 1989.Google Scholar
- Brytting, T.: “The Business of Business is Business? — Concerning the Moral Responsibility of the Company” (in Swedish), Signum, 1 (1990), pp. 9–12.Google Scholar
- Deal,T., Kennedy, A.: Corporate Cultures. The Rites and Rituals of Corporate Life, Reading, Massachusetts (Addison-Wesley) 1983.Google Scholar
- Fromm, E.: Escape From Freedom, New York (Avon) 1965.Google Scholar
- Giddens, A.: The Constitution of Society. Outline of the Theory of Structuration, Cambridge (Polity Press) 1984.Google Scholar
- Gustafsson, C.: “Concerning the Company, Morals and Action” (in Swedish), Studentlitteratur, Lund 1988.Google Scholar
- Halldén, S.: “The Land of Humbug” (in Swedish), Studentlitteratur, Lund 1989.Google Scholar
- IBM (Sweden): “Our corporate values” (in Swedish), Stockholm (IBM) 1989.Google Scholar
- Koskinen, L.: “Ethical theory for practice” (in Swedish), in: C. R. Bråkenhielm, et al (eds.): The Price of Ethics (in Swedish), Stockholm (Verbum) 1989.Google Scholar
- Lundquist, L.: “Bureaucratic Ethics” (in Swedish), Studentlitteratur, Lund 1988.Google Scholar
- Sims, H., Gioia, D. and Associates (eds.): The Thinking Organization -Dynamics of Organizational Social Cognition, London (Jossey-Bass) 1986Google Scholar