Solid Modeling in Computer Graphics Education
The first aim of this paper is to show the influence that graphics methods have had on the research activities carried out in solid modeling at the University “La Sapienza.” At the same time, we report our experience about the impact of solid modeling tools, equipped with a user-friendly user interface, on computer graphics education. In particular, we describe the solid modeler Minerva, implemented by computer graphics students and currently used as a didactic tool in our graphics course, which allows students to experiment with affine transformations, and to view models, structure definitions, surface equations, and solid operations.
KeywordsItalian Computer Graphic Manifold Europe Coherence PIer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bemardini, F., V. Ferrucci and A. Paoluzzi, “Working with Multidimensional Polyhedra,” Submitted paper. January 1991.Google Scholar
- Ferracci, V. and F. Bemardini, “Simpler: User Manual and Implementation Notes. Parts 1 and 2,” Technical Reports RR.90–06/17, Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica, Univ. “La Sapienza,” Rome, May 1990.Google Scholar
- Ferrucci, V. and F. Bemardini, “Simpler: Un Modellatore Geometrico Multidimensionale,” Proc. of IcoGraphics `91, 513–526, Mondadori Informatica, Milan, March 1991.Google Scholar
- Masia, M., G. Materlian, and M. Mele, “Approssimazione Poliedrica di Solidi Curvi.” Proc. of IcoGraphics ‘90, 49–62, Milan, Feb 1990.Google Scholar
- Paoluzzi, A. and C. Cattani, “Simplicial-Based Representation and Algorithms for Multidimensional Polyhedra,” manuscript, 1990, revised and extended version of the paper by C. Cattani and A. Paoluzzi, “Solid Modeling in Any Dimension,” Dip. di Informatica e Sistemistica, Università “La Sapienza,” Techn. Rep. 02–89, Rome, Jan 1989, revised May 1989.Google Scholar
- Paoluzzi, A. and M. Masia, “The Geometric Modeler Minerva,” Wheels for the Mind, Apple University Consortium (Europe), 3 (2): 14–32, April 1989.Google Scholar
- Paoluzzi, A. and C. Sansoni, “Solid modeling of architectural design with PLASM language,” To appear in the Proc. of CAAD Futures `91, Schmitt G. ( Ed. ), Zurich, July 1991.Google Scholar
- Paoluzzi, A. and E. Vietri, “Rappresentazione e Visualizzazione di Varietà e Campi su Varietà,” Proc. of IcoGraphics ‘81, 541–552, Mondadori Informatica, Milan, March 1991.Google Scholar