The Use of Donor-Specific Bone Marrow to Induce Specific Allograft Unresponsiveness (Tolerance) in Adult Animals Transiently Immunosuppressed with Polyclonal Antilymphocyte Serum
- 44 Downloads
It is a great pleasure and honor for me to speak on the use of polyclonal antilymphocyte serum and donor antigen, specifically donor-specific bone marrow, to produce specific unresponsiveness (tolerance) to allografted tissue and organs. This topic is especially significant in view of Prof. Walter Brendel’s early and pioneering interests in the uses of polyclonal antilymphocyte sera in tissue transplantation. This presentation is taken from a recent summary  by my colleagues and me in which we updated the use of polyclonal antilymphocyte serum and donor-specific bone marrow to induce unresponsiveness to tissue and organ allografts in several species.
KeywordsRenal Allograft Tolerance Induction Donor Bone Marrow Mixed Lymphocyte Culture Chronic Immunosuppression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Monaco AP, Wood ML, Maki T, Gozzo JJ (1989) Future strategies in immunosuppression: Problems and potential for the induction of specific unresponsiveness to organ allografts in clinical transplantation. Transplant Proc 21: 3939Google Scholar
- 3.Monaco AP (1988) Biological immunosuppression: Polyclonal antilymphocyte sera, monoclonal antibody and donor specific antigen. In: GJ Cerilli (ed), Organ transplantation and replacement. Lippincott, Philadelphia, p 83Google Scholar
- 7.Thomas JM, Carver M, Cunningham P, Park K, Gonder J, Thomas F (1987) Promotion of incompatible allograft acceptance in rhesus monkeys given post-transplant ATG and donor bone marrow. I. In vivo parameters and immunohistologic evidence suggesting microchimerism. Transplantation 43: 332Google Scholar
- 8.Caddis T, Liegeois A, Barrett I, Monaco AP (1973) Enhanced survival of canine renal allografts in ALS treated dogs given bone marrow. Transplant Proc 5: 671Google Scholar
- 12.Monaco AP, Wood ML, Maki T, Madras PN, Sahyoun AI, Simpson MA (1985) Attempt to induce unresponsiveness to human renal allografts with ALG and donor specific bone marrow. Transplant Proc 17: 1312Google Scholar