Basic Theory of Surfaces
Quadric surfaces, especially bodies of revolution such as spheres, cylinders, cones, or also ruled surfaces have been widely used in engineering products. This is because their geometric properties are easily specified by their designers and the shapes are easily manufactured by machines. On the other hand, free-form surfaces have only been used in special cases and their design and manufacture have required special talent and skill. But in recent years their uses have increased because of strong demands for high performance and aesthetic quality in engineering products. And computers have been used for their design and manufacture. Accordingly, various mathematical expressions of free-forms for engineering use have been developed.
KeywordsBasic Vector Tangent Vector Gaussian Curvature Principal Curvature Principal Direction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coxeter, H.S.M.: Introduction to geometry. 2nd edition, John Wiley 1969Google Scholar
- Hosaka, M.: *Theory of curve and surface synthesis and their smooth fitting. J. IPS Japan 10 (3): 121–131, 1969Google Scholar
- Enomoto, H. et al.: *Computer experiment on global properties of structure lines of images using graphic display and its consideration). J. IPS Japan 17 (7): 641–649, 1976Google Scholar
- Kajiya, J.T.: Ray tracing parametric patches. Computer Graphics (Proc. Siggraph’82) 16 (3): 224–254, 1984Google Scholar
- Stoer, J., Bulirsch, R.: Introduction to numerical analysis. New York: Springer-Verlag 1980Google Scholar
- Press, W. H., Flannery, B.P., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling W.T.: Numerical Recipies in C Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1988Google Scholar
- Higashi, M., Kushimoto, T., Hosaka, M.: On formulation and display for visualizing features and evaluating quality of free-form surfaces. In: Vandoni, C.E., Duce, D.A.(eds): Proc. Eurographics’90 1990, pp. 299–309Google Scholar
- Love, A.E.H.: Treatise on the mathematical theory of elasticity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1934, pp. 401–410Google Scholar