Living Related Liver Transplantation in an Adult and a Child
Orthotopic liver transplantation is the most effective treatment for end-stage liver diseases in adults and children; however, the lack of convenient donors is the main restrictive factor existing in this particular area. The paucity of infant and child donors remains a worldwide problem, especially in developing countries where the number of adult cadavers is also very limited. The desperate search for organ sources has led surgeons to transplant a portion of the liver from an adult into a child, and this approach has been accepted by some centers [4, 6, 9].
KeywordsLiver Transplantation Orthotopic Liver Transplantation Biliary Atresia Left Hepatic Vein Serum Glutamic Oxaloacetic Transaminase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bismuth H, Houssion D (1984) Reduced-sized orthotopic liver graft in hepatic transplantation in children. Surgery 3:367–370.Google Scholar
- 2.Bismuth H, Morino M, Castaing D et al. (1989) Emergency orthotopic liver transplantation in two patients using one donor liver. Pr J Surg 76:722–724.Google Scholar
- 4.Broelsch CE, Emond JC, Whitington PF, Thistlethwaite JR, Baker AL, Lichtory JL (1990) Application of reduced size living transplants as split grafts, auxiliary orthotopic grafts and living related segmental transplants. Second International Congress of the Middle East Society for Organ Transplantation, March 1990, Kuwait. (Abstract), p47.Google Scholar
- 5.Haberal M, Erbengi A, Erbengi G, Telatar H, Topçu M, Büyükpamukçu N, Bilgin N, Arslan G, Karamehmetoğlu M, Gülay H, SertŞ, Öner Z, Turan M, Bayraktar Y, Kayhan B, Sanaç Y (1989) Brain death criteria and heart beating donor. Fourth International Symposium on Organ Procurement and Preservation, September, 1989, Minnesota. (Abstract), p73.Google Scholar
- 8.Strong R, Ong TH, Pillay P, Wall D, Balderson G, Lynch S (1988) A new method of segmental orthotopic liver transplantation in children. Surgery 104(1):104–107.Google Scholar
- 10.Starzl TE, Bell RH, Beart RW, Putnam CW (1975) Hepatic trisegmentectomy and other liver resections. Surg Gyn Obst p 141.Google Scholar