Chemotherapy Effect on the Clinical Results of Allograft Transplantation in the Treatment of Malignant Bone Tumors
The clinical use of allografts to reconstruct major skeletal defects dates in legend at least to the fifth century a.d. At that time in Rome a faithful church warden reportedly underwent miraculous resection of a lower extremity tumor as he slept and was reconstructed with an allograft from a Moor who had died earlier that same day. The surgery was performed by the spirits of Saints Cosmos and Damian, physicians who had lived approximately 200 years earlier.
KeywordsFatigue Lymphoma Sarcoma Methotrexate Myeloma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berrey BH Jr, Lord CF, Gebhardt MC, Mankin HJ (1990) Allograft fractures: frequency, treatment and end results. (in press)Google Scholar
- 2.Curtiss PH Jr, Herndon CH (1956) Immunological factors in homogenous bone transplantation I. Serological studies. J Bone Joint Surg 38A: 103–110Google Scholar
- 3.Curtiss PH Jr, Powell AE, Herndon CH (1959) Immunological factors in homogenous rabbit bone to induce circulating antibodies in rabbits. J Bone Joint Surg 41A: 1482–1488Google Scholar
- 7.Friedlaender GE, Tross RB, Doganis AC, Kirkwood JM, Baron R (1984) Effects of chemotherapeutic agents on bone. J Bone Joint Surg 66-A: 602–607Google Scholar
- 8.Friedlaender GE (1987) Current concepts review. Bone grafts. J Bone Joint Surg 69-A: 786–790Google Scholar
- 11.Herndon CH, Chase SW (1952) Experimental studies in the transplantation of whole joints. J Bone Joint Surg 34-A: 564–578Google Scholar
- 13.Lexer E (1925) Joint transplantation and arthroplasty. Surg Gynecol Obstet 40: 782–809Google Scholar
- 14.Lexer E (1908) Die Verwendung der frien Knochebplastik Nebst Versuchen uber Gelenkversteifung und Gelenktransplantation. Arch Klin Chir 86: 939–954Google Scholar
- 15.Lord CF, Gebhardt MC, Tomford WW, Mankin HJ (1988) Infection in bone allografts. Incidence, nature and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg 70-A: 369–376Google Scholar
- 20.Mankin HJ, Gebhardt MC, Tomford WW (1987) The use of frozen cadaveric allografts in management of patients with bone tumors of the extremities. Orthop Clin North 18: 275–289Google Scholar
- 24.Springfield DS, Schmidt R, Graham-Pole J, Marcus RB, Spanier SS, Enneking WF (1988) Surgical treatment for osteosarcoma. J Bone Joint Surg 70-A: 1124–1130Google Scholar
- 28.Tomford WW, Mankin HJ, Friedlaender GE, Doppelt SH, Gebhardt MC (1987) Methods of banking bone and cartilage for allograft transplantation. Ortho Clin North Am 18: 241–247Google Scholar