Treatment of Renal Cell Carcinoma with Interferon
The successful use of interferon-α (IFN- α) in the treatment of metastasized renal cell carcinoma (RCC) was first reported in 1983 . Since that time the efficacy of IFN- α in RCC has been tested in numerous studies. Recently the two other IFN, namely IFN-β and IFN-γ, have also been used in the treatment of RCC. Although we know much more about the subtypes and the action of IFN today than we did in 1983, the exact mechanisms of tumor control by IFN have not yet been elucidated.
KeywordsRenal Cell Carcinoma Clin Oncol Objective Response Rate Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Huber C, Aulitzky W, Gastl G, Aulitzky WE, Herold M, Frick J (1989) Treatment of metastasizing renal cell carcinoma with an optimum biological response modifying dose of r-IFN-gamma. J Biol Resp Mod 8: 335Google Scholar
- 7.Koiso K and Recombinant Human Interferon Gamma (S-6810) Research Group on Renal Cell Carcinoma (1987) Phase II study of recombinant human interferon gamma (S-6810) on renal cell carcinoma. Cancer 60: 929–933Google Scholar
- 11.Neidhart J, Gagen M, Kisner R, Tuttel R, Whisman J (1984) Therapy of renal cancer with low (LD) and high (HD) dose regimens of human lymphoblastoid interferon (HBLJ; Wellferon ). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 3: 60Google Scholar
- 13.Quesada JR, Swanson DA, Trindade A, Gutterman JU (1983) Renal cell carcinoma: Antitumor effects of leukocyte interferon. Cancer Res 43: 940–947Google Scholar
- 17.Sarna G, Figlin R, deKernion J (1987) Interferon in renal cell carcinoma. The UCLA experience. Cancer 59: 610–612Google Scholar