Taxation of Income, Consumption, and Wages in an Open Economy
During the 1970s and 80s public finance economists devoted increasing attention to the taxation of consumption and wages as an attractive alternative to the existing income tax systems, which are widely believed to discourage savings and capital formation. Despite the ongoing internationalization of the western economies, most of these studies of the macroeconomic effects of tax reform have assumed a closed economy. As Slemrod (1988) has noted, economists have only recently begun to realize that the effects of tax policy may change markedly as the economy is opened up to international trade in goods and assets.
KeywordsIncome Expense Tate Rium Wolfram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Auerbach, A./ Kotlikoff, L. (1987), Dynamic Fiscal Policy, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Bradford, D. (1988), What are Consumption Taxes and Who Pays Them?, Tax Notes, April 18, 1988.Google Scholar
- Hall, R.E./ Rabushka, A. (1983), Low Tax, Simple Tax, Flat Tax, New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- McLure, C.E./ Zodrow, G.R. (1988), Implementing Direct Consumption Taxes in Developing Countries, Working Paper on Public Economics (WPS 131), Washington D.C.: World Bank.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, S.B. (1989), Capital Income Taxation in A Growing World Economy, Paper presented at the Nordic Workshop on Financial Markets, Investment, and Taxation in Tampere, Finland, April 7-8, 1989.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, S.B./ SØfrensen, P.B. (1989), Capital Income Taxation in A Growing Open Economy, Paper presented at the Nordic Workshop on Financial Markets, Investment, and Taxation in Tampere, Finland, April 7–8, 1989.Google Scholar
- Sen, P./ Tumovsky, SJ. (1988), Deterioriation of the Terms of Trade and Capital Accumulation: A Reexamination of the Laursen-Metzler Effect, NBER Working Paper No. 2616.Google Scholar
- Sinn, H.-W. (1987), Capital Income Taxation and Resource Allocation, Amsterdam: North-Holland.Google Scholar
- Thorlund Jepsen, G. (1975), Skatterne Foer, Nu og i 1985, Albertslund: Det Danske Forlag.Google Scholar