Advertisement

IRAS Observations of NGC 4696 — Cooling or Evaporation Flow?

  • T. de Jong
  • H. U. Nørgaard-Nielsen
  • H. E. Jørgensen
  • L. Hansen
Conference paper

Abstract

We have analysed 60 and 100 μm IRAS observations of NGC 4696, the central elliptical galaxy of the Centaurus cluster. Ground-based optical photometry and spectroscopic data as well as ultraviolet (IUE) and X-ray (EINSTEIN) measurements constrain the interpretation of the infrared data. The dust responsible for the infrared emission has a temperature of 24 K, a total mass of 2.5 106 M and emits a total infrared luminosity of 1.5 109 L . It is heated by photons from the interstellar radiation field in the elliptical galaxy and by hot electrons from the X-ray gas. About 10 % of the radiating dust mass is located in a small ”horse shoe” shaped dust lane in the centre of NGC 4696. We argue that the other 90 % is distributed over a much larger region (R ≃ 10 kpc) in the galaxy.

Keywords

Dwarf Galaxy Infrared Emission Elliptical Galaxy Evaporation Flow Infrared Data 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

References

  1. T. de Jong, H.U. Nørgaard-Nielsen, H.E. Jørgensen, L. Hansen: Astron. Astrophys., in press (1989)Google Scholar
  2. W.B. Sparks, F. Macchetto, D. Golombek: Astrophys. J., in press (1989)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1990

Authors and Affiliations

  • T. de Jong
    • 1
  • H. U. Nørgaard-Nielsen
    • 2
  • H. E. Jørgensen
    • 3
  • L. Hansen
    • 3
  1. 1.Astronomical Institute “Anton Pannekoek”University of AmsterdamAmsterdamThe Netherlands
  2. 2.Danish Space Research InstituteLyngbyDenmark
  3. 3.Copenhagen University ObservatoryCopenhagenDenmark

Personalised recommendations