The Genetics of Insulin-Dependent Diabetes in the BB Rat
- 102 Downloads
The susceptibility towards the development of type 1 or insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) in humans is inherited in a complex and, as yet, unclear fashion. At least one genetic component is linked to the class II region of the major histocompatibility complex (MHC), but this component appears to be insufficient in determining susceptibility towards the disease. The identification of a gene or combination of genes which leads to the development of the disease has been hampered by the diverse genetic background of the human population, possible heterogeneity within the disease itself, and the low penetrance of the gene(s) involved.
KeywordsMajor Histocompatibility Complex Repetitive Sequence Brown Norway Major Histocompatibility Complex Haplotype Diabetes Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bender K, Adams M, Baverstock PR, den Bieman M, Bissbort S, Brdicka R, Butcher GW, Cramer DV, von Deimling O, Festing MFW, Gunther E, Guttmann RD, Hedrich HJ, Kendall PB, Kluge R, Moutier R, Simon B, Womack JE, Yamada J, van Zutphen B (1984) Biochemical markers in inbred strains of the rat (Rattus norvegicus). Immunogenetics 19: 257–266PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gilliam TC, Tanzi RE, Haines JL, Bonner TI, Faryniarz AG, Hobbs AJ, MacDonald ME, Cheng SV, Folstein SE, Conneally PM, Wexler NS, Gusella JF (1987) Localization of the Huntington’s disease gene to a small segment of chromosome 4 flanked by D4S10 and the telomere. Cell 50: 565–571PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guberski DL, Butler L, Kastern W, Like A A (1989) Genetic studies in inbred BB/Wor rats: analysis of progeny produced by crossing lymphopenic diabetes prone with non-lymphopenic rats. Diabetes (in press)Google Scholar
- Herold KC, Kastern W, Markholst H, Lernmark A (1989) Derivation of non-lymphopenic BB rats with an intercross breeding. Autoimmunity (in press)Google Scholar
- Hill AVS, Jeffreys AJ (1985) Use of minisatellite DNA probes for determination of twin zygosity at birth. Lancet 2: 1394–1395Google Scholar
- Lang F, Kastern W (1989) The gene for the rat lymphocyte alloantigen is linked neither to diabetes nor lymphopenia and is apparently functional in the diabetic BB rat. Eur J Immunol (submitted)Google Scholar
- Leiter E, Prochazka M (1988) Genetic loci controlling diabetes susceptibility in NOD mice. Diabetes Res. Clin Pract 5 [suppl J]: S188Google Scholar
- O’Brien SJ (1987)Genetic maps-1987. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New YorkGoogle Scholar