Control of Translational Initiation by mRNA Secondary Structure: A Quantitative Analysis
There is good evidence that mRNA secondary structure is one of the main factors determining the efficiency of translations initiation in prokaryotes (reviewed by Stormo, 1986; Gold, 1988; de Smit & van Duin, 1990). For example, Hall et al. (1982) found that mutations stabilizing a potential hairpin structure in the ribosome binding site of the lamB gene inhibited its expression and this inhibition could be relieved by second-site destabilizing mutations. They further suggested that the level of expression in the different mutants was related to the relative stability of the helix. Similarly, others showed the expression of heterologous genes in E. coli to be related to the stability of defined secondary structures involving the ribosome binding sites (Buell et al., 1985; Tessier et al., 1984; Spanjaard et al., 1989).
KeywordsSecondary Structure Translational Initiation Ribosome Binding Site mRNA Secondary Structure Expression Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Draper DE, (1987) Translational regulation of ribosomal proteins in Escherichia coli. In: Man J, (ed) Translational regulation of gene expression. Plenum New York (pp. 1–23 )Google Scholar
- Dreyfus M, (1988) What constitutes the signal for the initiation of protein synthesis on Escherichia coli mRNAs? J Mol Biol 204: 79–94Google Scholar
- Forchhammer J, Lindahl J, (1971) Growth rate of polypeptide chains as a function of theGoogle Scholar
- cell growth rate in a mutant of Escherichia coli 15. J Mol Biol 55: 563–568Google Scholar
- Gualerzi C, Risuleo G, Pon CL, (1977) Initial rate kinetic analysis of the mechanism of initiation complex formation and the role of initiation factor IF-3. Biochemistry 16:1684– 1689Google Scholar
- Gualerzi CO, Calogero RA, Canonaco MA, Brombach M, Pon CL, (1988) Selection of mRNA by ribosomes during prokaryotic translational initiation. In: Tuite MF, Picard M, Bolotin-Fukuhara M, (eds) Genetics of translation. Springer Heidelberg (pp. 317–330 )Google Scholar
- Munson LM, Stormo GD, Niece RL, Reznikoff WS, (1984) lacZ Translation initiation mutations. J Mol Biol 177: 663–683Google Scholar
- Salser W, (1977) Globin mRNA sequences: Analysis of base pairing and evolutionary implications. Cold Spring Harbor Symp Quant Biol 42: 985–1002Google Scholar
- Scherer GFE, Walkinshaw MD, Arnott S, Morré DJ, (1980) The ribosome binding sites recognized by E. coli ribosomes have regions with signal character in both the leader and protein coding segments. Nucleic Acids Res 8: 3895–3907Google Scholar
- Skripkin EA, Adhin MR, de Smit MH, van Duin J, (1990) Secondary structure of the central region of bacteriophage MS2 RNA. J Mol Biol 211: 447–463Google Scholar
- Stormo GD, (1986) Translation initiation. In: Reznikoff W, Gold L, (eds) Maximizing gene expression. Butterworths Boston (pp. 195–224 )Google Scholar