Prospects of Satellite Verification in Europe
The issue of satellite verification has been on the Pugwash agenda for years. The subject has been discussed at several of its annual conferences, especially in 1984 (Bjorkliden), and 1987 (Gmunden). Moreover, two special symposia, in 1980 and 1983, were devoted to the theme. Attention was given to the verification technology as such and to “the rules of the game”.
KeywordsVerification System Space Policy Star Sensor Ground Resolution External Affair
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.H. Dorn, “Peace-keeping satellites”, Peace Research Reviews, Vol. X, nos. 5 and 6, 1987, Duncas, Canada: Peace Research Institute.Google Scholar
- 2.United Nations, 1981/1983, “The Implications of establishing an international satellite monitoring agency”, New York: United Nations, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Voute, “The future generation of resources satellites — An assessment of new sensor developments in remote sensing applications for the exploration of natural resources”, United Nations Department for Technical Cooperation for Development, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Fact Sheet, Office of the Press Secretary, The White House, Washington DC, USA, 11 February 1988; see also: Space Policy, Vol. 4, no. 2, May 1988, pp. 165–71Google Scholar
- 5.C. Voute, “An International and a regional satellite monitoring agency — the European political climate”, in: Satellites for Arms Control and Crisis Monitoring, edited by B. Jasani and T. Sakata, Oxford University Press: SIPRI, 1987, pp. 129–44.Google Scholar
- 7.Europe’s Future in Space, a joint policy report by Clingendael, DGAP, IAI, IFI, IFR, RIIA, London: Routeledge and Kegan Paul, 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.F.R. Sleminson, “Paxsat and progress in arms control. Canadian research focusses on remote sensing applications”, Space Policy, Vol. 4, no. 2, May 1988, pp. 97–102; “PAXSAT concept. The Application of Space Based Remote Sensing for Arms Control Verification”, External Affairs Canada, Verification Brochure No. 2, 1987; “Verification Research: Canadafs Verification Research Program”, ibid, Verification Brochure No. 3, 1987; unpublished briefing viewgraphs Department of External Affairs (briefing of European governments, June 1987 ).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.“Threat assessment”, Report submitted on behalf of the Committee on defence Questions and Armaments by Mr. Stokes, Rapporteur, Assembly of Western European Union, Document 1115, 2 November 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.Reply of the Council to Recommendation 448, communicated to the Assembly on 12 October 1987 and received at the Office of the Clerk on 16 October 1987. Assembly of Western European Union, ibid, p. 100.Google Scholar
- 11.Official Report of debates, Assembly of Western European Union, Thirty-third Ordinary Session (Second Part), Seventh Sitting, 1 December 1987, p. 87.Google Scholar
- 12.Draft resolution, submitted to the European Parliament by R. Linkohr, February 1988.Google Scholar
- 13.United Kingdom Space Policy, Report of the Sub-Committee on United Kingdom, Space Policy, Select Committee on Science and Technology, House of Lords, Session 1987–88, 2nd Report, London: HMSO.Google Scholar