Clustered Arrangement and Interaction of Steroid Hormone Receptors with Other Transcription Factors
One of the main contemporary challenges in molecular genetics is the elucidation of the mechanisms underlying gene regulation. Several tissue-specific promoter or enhancer elements have been identified. Many of the model systems analyzed are limited in that only mature cells or tissues are available for testing, whereas gene regulation may occur in a multistep process during differentiation from precursor to mature cells and may be modulated at certain levels of differentiation by different hormones. The hematopoetic cell population is generated by one of the few differentiation pathways which can be studied step by step in vitro as well as in vivo. Expression of the lysozyme gene is a specific differentiation marker, being gradually turned on during maturation of macrophages. In addition to this constitutive macrophage expression, the chicken lysozyme gene is inducible by steroid hormones in the tubular gland cells of the oviduct.
KeywordsDexamethasone Glucocorticoid Progesterone Tryptophan Acetyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cato, A.C.B., Skroch, P., Weinmann, J., Butkeraitis, P. & Ponta, H. (1988) EMBO J. 7:1403–1408 Chodosh, L.A., Baldwin, A.S., Carthew, R.W. & Sharp, P.A. (1988) Cell 53: 11–19Google Scholar
- Danesch, U., Gloss, B., Schmid, W., Schutz, G., Schäle, R. & Renkawitz, R. (1987) EMBO J. 6:625–630 Hecht, A., Berkenstam, A., Stromstedt, P-E., Gustafsson, J.-A. & Sippel, A.E. (1988) EMBO J. 7:2063–2073 Lee, W., Haslinger, A., Karin, M. & Tjian, R. (1987) Nature (London) 325: 368–372Google Scholar
- Scheidereit, C., Geisse, S., Westphal, H.M. & Beato, M. (1983) Nature (London) 304:749–752 Schule, R., Muller, M., Otsuka-Murakami, H. & Renkawitz, R. (1988a) Nature (London) 332:87–90 Schüle, R., Muller, M., Kaltschmidt, C. & Renkawitz, R. (1988b) Science 242: 1418–1420Google Scholar
- Speck, N.A. & Baltimore, D. (1987) Mol. Cell. Biol. 7: 1101–1110Google Scholar
- Steiner, Ch., Muller, M., Baniahmad, A. & Renkawitz, R. (1987) Nucl. Acids Res. 15:4163–4177 Strähle, U., Klock, G. & Schutz, G. (1987) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84: 7871–7875Google Scholar