Corporate Strategic Thinking: The Role of System Dynamics
System Dynamics began thirty years ago as a bold attempt to apply engineering analysis concepts to business systems. But from the late 1960s onward, most System Dynamics research focused on public policy problems. Business applications have grown steadily, though less visibly and primarily outside academia. For example, over the past twenty-five years, Pugh-Roberts Associates has completed hundreds of management consulting assignments using System Dynamics for clients in the financial services, aerospace, electronics, telecommunications, computer, chemical, shipbuilding, transportation, electric power, energy, and natural resources industries. Some of the best-known, most successful businesses throughout the world have used System Dynamics.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lyneis, J. M., Corporate Planning and Policy Design: A System Dynamics Approach. MIT Press, Cambridge, 1980.Google Scholar
- Roberts, E. B., “Strategies for Effective Implementation of Complex Corporate Models,” in Roberts, E. B., ed., Managerial Applications of System Dynamics, MIT Press, Cambridge, 1978.Google Scholar
- Veit, K. P., “System Dynamics in Corporate Long-Range Strategic Planning,” presented at the 20th International Congress of Actuaries, Tokyo, Japan, October, 1976; published in Roberts, E. B., ed., Managerial Applications of System Dynamics, op cit.Google Scholar
- Weil, H. B. and K. P. Veit, “Growth Strategy in a New Business Area,” (with A. L. Pugh and R. D. Wright), presented at the 1974 Summer Computer Simulation Conference, Houston, Texas, July 1974.Google Scholar
- Weil, H. B., “Achieving Implemented Results from System Dynamics Projects: The Evolution of an Approach,” in Randers, J., ed., The System Dynamics Method, MIT Press, Cambridge, 1979.Google Scholar
- Weil, H. B., “Strategy Management with System Dynamics,” (with J. M. Lyneis), presented at the IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics and Society, Cambridge, Massachusetts, October, 1980.Google Scholar
- Weil, H. B., “Effecting Strategy Change with System Dynamics,” Proceedings of the 1981 System Dynamics Research Conference. State University of New York at Albany, October, 1981.Google Scholar
- Weil, H. B., “The Dynamics of Strategy Implementation,” Dynamica. Vol. 9, Part I, Summer 1983.Google Scholar