Predictive and Estimation Schemes in Sensor-Controlled Telerobotics
The paper discusses the problems that arise when sensorcontrolled robots in space are teleoperated from ground stations. Predictive 3D-computer-graphics presently seems the only way to successfully cope with the problem of transmission time delays of several seconds. Appropriate estimation schemes are outlined which include models of the delay lines the robot/ moving objects etc., and which derive the necessary corrections from sensory data as they are sent down from the spacecraft to earth. The space robot technology experiment ROTEX scheduled for the next spacelab-mission D2 is taken as a basis for the problem description.
KeywordsSensory Feedback Stereo Image Supervisory Control Range Finder Floating Object
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bejczy, A.K.: Smart sensors for smart hands. AIAA paper No. 78–1714, AIAA-NASA Conf. on “Smart” Remote Sensors, Hampton, Virginia. 14–16, Nov. 1978.Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, S., Bekey, G., Bejczy, A.K.: Computer control of space-borne teleoperators with sensory Feedback, IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation, St. Louis, Missouri, March 25–28, 1985, Proceedings S. 205–214.Google Scholar
- 3.Heindl, J., Hirzinger, G.: Device for programming movements of a robot. US-Patent: No. 4,589,810, May 20, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.Hirzinger, G., Dietrich, J.: Multisensory robots and sen-sorbased path generation. IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation, San Francisco, April 7–10, 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.Craig, J.J., Raibert, M.H.: Hybrid Position/Force Control of Manipulators. Transaction of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements and Control, Vol 102, (6/1982) 126–132.Google Scholar
- 7.Hirzinger, G., Landzettel, K.: Sensory feedback structrur-es for robots with supervised Learning. IEEE Ing. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, St. Louis, Missouri, March 1985.Google Scholar
- 8.Hirzinger, G., Heindl, J.: Sensor programming, a new way for teaching a robot paths and forces torques simultaneously. 3rd Int. Conf. on Robot Vision and Sensory Controls, Cambridge, Massachusetts/USA, Nov. 7–10, 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Hirzinger, G.: On the control of sampled-data dead-time systems (in German) Internel Report, No. 552–77/38.Google Scholar
- 10.Sheridan, T.B.: Human supervisory control of robot systems. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, San Francisco, April 7–10, 1986.Google Scholar