Growth and Cell Proliferation of Human Renal Cell Carcinomas Xenografted into BALB/c nu/nu Mice
Since the first report of a human malignant tumor growing in a mouse mutant by Rygaard and Povlsen in 1969, the nude mouse model has been frequently used in studies of growth (Katsuoka et al. 1976; Shimosato et al. 1976; Giovanella et al. 1978; Auerbach et al. 1978; Kyriazis et al. 1978) and therapy (Otto et al. 1984a, b; Bubenik et al. 1987; Taetle et al. 1987; Byers et al. 1987) of human tumors. Although this model is much closer to the human tumor than experimental animal tumors, the question is how far the nude mouse model actually represents the conditions in human beings. Furthermore, investigations in this field are mainly based on measurements of the tumor size (Giovanella et al. 1978; Auerbach et al. 1978; Höehn and Schroeder 1978; Naito et al. 1987) as well as of the DNA content of the tumor cells and its distribution by flow cytometry (Otto et al. 1984a, b; Baisch et al. 1986) There are almost no studies on cell proliferation of human tumors in nude mice apart from occasional determinations of the labeling and the mitotic index (Heller et al. 1987). The aim of the present study was a quantitative analysis of the growth and proliferation of human renal cell carcinomas growing in the nude mouse.
KeywordsRenal Cell Carcinoma Nude Mouse Athymic Mouse Phase Duration Nude Mouse Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kubato T, Nakada M, Tsuyuki K, Inada T, Asanuma F, Ishibiki K, Abe O (1986) Cell kinetics and chemosensitivity of human carcinomas serially transplanted into nude mice. Gann 77: 502–507Google Scholar
- Meek RA, Ingram M, Meek JM, McCulluogh JM, Wu M-C, Yunis AA (1981) Establishment and cell cycle kinetics of a human squamous cell carcinoma in nude mice and in vitro. Cancer Res 41: 1076–1085Google Scholar
- Otto U, Klöppel G, Baisch H (1984a) Transplantation of human renal cell carcinoma into NMRI nu/nu mice. I. Reliability of an experimental tumor model. J Urol 131: 130–134Google Scholar
- Otto U, Huland H, Baisch H, Klöppel G (1984b) Transplantation of human renal cell carcinoma into NMRI nu/nu mice. II. Evaluation of response to vinblastine sulfate mono therapy. J Urol 131: 134–138Google Scholar
- Steel GG (1977) The growth kinetics of tumours. Oxford University Press, Oxford Taetle R, Rosen F, Abramson I, Venditti J, Howell S (1987) Use of nude mouse xenografts as preclinical drug screens: in vivo activity of established chemotherapeutic agents against melanoma and ovarian carcinoma xenografts. Cancer Treat Rep 71: 297–304Google Scholar