A 64 kDa protein is a candidate for a TRH receptor in prolactin-producing rat pituitary tumour cells
Binding of the hypothalamic tripeptide TRH to specific membrane receptors stimulates Prl secretion and synthesis. The action of TRH (Fig.1) has been extensively studied in clonal strains of pituitary tumour cells (Table 1) which have retained their ability to secrete hormone and are sufficiently differentiated to generate and express hormone receptor signal systems analogous to normal anterior pituitar cells (for review see Tashjian and Hoyt 1972, Gautvik et al.1984). TRH induces the activation of adenylate cyclase (AC) and phospholipase C (PLC) through Gs- and Gplc-proteins, respectively (Gordeladze et al.1987). [Ca2+]i peaks rapidly within seconds due to the enhanced production of inositolpolyphosphates while cAMP elevation occurs within minutes (Fig.2, K.M.Gautvik et al.1988). The TRH stimulated adenylate cyclase is rapidly and totally desensitized by TRH, while phospholipase C is only partially down regulated (Table 2). The two signal pathways are crosslinked by the inactivation of Gi by protein kinase C, thereby enhancing cAMP synthesis further (Gordeladze et al.1988).
KeywordsAdenylate Cyclase Total Cell Protein High Affinity Binding Site Pituitary Tumour Cell Clonal Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gautvik, K.M., Haug, E., Sand, O., Iversen, J.-G., Johansen, P.W., Sletholt, K. and Gordeladze, J.O. (1984) Regulation of Prolactin secretion by thyrolibrin (TRH) in cultured rat pituitary tumor cells. In: Regulation of Target Cells Responsiveness, eds. McKerns, K.W., Aakvaag, A. and Hansson, V., Vol. 2, Plenum Publishing Corporation, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gautvik, K.M., Bjøro, T., Sletholt, K., Østberg, B.Chr., Sand, O., Torjesen, P. Gordeladze, J.O.,Iversen, J.-G. and Haug, E.(1988) Molecular Mechanism in Secretion, Alfred Benzon Symposium 25, 211–227; eds. Thorn, N.A., Treiman, M., Petersen, O.H., Munksgaard, CopenhagenGoogle Scholar
- Gordeladze J.O. et al.(1988) Eur.J.of Biochem.(in press)Google Scholar
- Gourdji, D.,(1980) In: Synthesis and release of adenophysophyseal hormones, eds. Utisz, M.J and Kerns, K.W., pp. 463–491, Plenum Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Tashjian, A.H.Jr. and Hoyt, R.F.Jr. (1972) In: Molecular and General Developmental Biology, ed.Sussman, M., pp. 353–387. Prentiss-Hall, Eaglewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USAGoogle Scholar
- Wright, M., Høgset, A., Aleström, P. and Gautvik K.M. (1988) Biochem.Biophys.Res.Comm.(in press)Google Scholar