Control of the Optical Fiber During Laser-Assisted Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty: Coaxial Alignment and Other Critical Considerations
Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA), and the related cardiac procedure, PTCA, have been recognized as less invasive treatment alternatives for treating occlusive arterial disease. However, there still remains a population of patients for whom PTA and PTCA are not as effective: those with total occlusions, recurring obstructions, or diffuse disease. Lasers have been suggested as an adjunct to overcome some of the limitations of PTA and PTCA, and research in this field has burgeoned in the past 5 years [1–29].
KeywordsOptical Fiber Laser Energy Balloon Catheter Arterial Lumen Laser Angioplasty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Fourrier JL, Lablanche JM, Brunetaud JM, Bertrand ME (1986) Angioplasty by contact sapphire (abstr). Lasers Surg Med 6: 177Google Scholar
- 10.Lammer J, Ascher PW (1987) Laser angioplasty with a contact probe for the treatment of peripheral vascular disease (abstr). Proceedings of the first German symposium on laser angioplasty, Berlin 1987Google Scholar
- 11.Litvack F, Grundfest W, Mohr F et al. (1987) “Hot tip” angioplasty by a novel radiofrequency catheter. Circulation 76:4 (suppl II), pp IV–47 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 14.Bowker T, Cross F, Runset P, et al. (1986) Excimer laser angioplasty: quantiative compar¬ison of ArF, KrF and XeF energy on normal and atheromatous tissue. J Am Coll Cardiol 7 (2): 208 AGoogle Scholar
- 15.Jenkins RD, Sinclair ID, Arnanad RK, James LM, Spears JR (1987) Laser balloon angio¬plasty: effect of Nd: yag exposure on shear strength of welded layers of postmortem human aorta (abstr). Circulation (suppl IV) 76, October 1987, pp IV–46Google Scholar
- 23.Berns MW, Mirhoseini M (1985) Laser application to occlusive vascular disease. Lasers Surg MedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Wollenek G, Laufer G, Miholic, Deutsch, Wolner (1985) Experimental coronary angioplasty using a UV-excimer laser. Texas Heart Inst J 12 (4): 339–343Google Scholar
- 27.Deckelbaum LI, Donaldson RF, Isner JM et al. (1985) Elimination of pathologic injury associated with laser-induced ablation using pulsed energy delivery. Am J Cardiol 5: 408Google Scholar
- 32.Nordstrom LA, Castaneda-Zuniga WC, Young EG, Von Seggern KB. Direct argon laser exposures for recanalization of peripheral arteries: early results.Google Scholar