Line Emission from Magnetized Neutron Stars and Electron Cyclotron Maser Instability
The Electron cyclotron maser instability might occur above the magnetized accretion column of neutron stars, due to a few electrons with a non-thermal velocity distribution. The coherent emission with frequency close to the electron cyclotron frequency andits second harmonic frequency might be amplified by this instability. in the case of line emission from Her X-1. the growth rates of the instability have been calculated using loss-cone and hollow beam velocity distributions. The growth rates increase proportionally with the electron density in the accretion column, and vary rapidly with emission angle. The observations about the intensity and the energy of emission line correlated with Her X-1 pulse phase have also been explained.
KeywordsSine Cose Lewin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.W. Nagel: in this workshopGoogle Scholar
- 8.D.Y. Wang: “The Origin and Evolution of Neutron Stars” IAU Symp. 125. eds by D.J. Helfand and J. H. Huang (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.D.Y. Wang and D.Y. Mao: Publication of Purple Mountain Observatory 5, 1 (1986)Google Scholar
- 10.J. Frank. A. R. King and D.J. Raine: “Accretion Power in Astrophysics” Cambridge University Press (1985)Google Scholar
- 11.D.Y. Mao and D.Y. Wang to be published in Chines Journal of Nuclear Fusion an Plasma Physics (1087)Google Scholar
- 12.K. R. Lang Astrophysical Formulae 2nd ed. (Springer-Verlag. 1983)Google Scholar