Surface X-Ray Diffraction: The Atomic Geometry of the Ge(111)7×7-Sn and Ge(111)5×5-Sn Reconstructions
The Ge(111) surface exhibits 7×7 and 5×5 reconstructions after deposition of submonolayer coverages of Sn and subsequent annealing. We have examined these structures by surface x-ray diffraction and collected 90 non-equivalent fractional-order reflections for the 7×7 structure, and 115 for the 5×5. The diffraction pattern for both structures show considerable similarity with the pattern for Si(111)7×7, and it is shown that the DAS (Dimer Adatom Stacking fault) model for Si(111)7×7 is also applicable to the Sn-induced Ge(111)7×7 and 5×5 structures. Furthermore, we have identified the adatoms to be Sn. For the 5×5 structure a partial substitution of Ge with Sn was found at the dimer positions closest to the corner vacancies.
KeywordsTotal External Reflection Patterson Function Atomic Geometry Submonolayer Coverage Dime Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.I.K. Robins, W.K. Waskiewicz, P.H. Fuoss, J.B. Stark and P.A. Bennett, Phys. Rev. B33, 7013 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Skov Pedersen, R. Feidenhans’l, M. Nielsen, K. Kjaer, F. Grey, R.L. Johnson, Surf. Sci. To be published.Google Scholar
- 7.I.K. Robinson, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A4, 1309 (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.G.X. QTan and D.J. Chadi, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B4, 1079 (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.G.X. Qian and D.J. Chadi, Phys. Rev. B35, 1288 (1987).Google Scholar
- 13.J.M. Nicholls, P. Mårtensson, G.V. Hansson and J.E. Northrup, Phys. Rev. B32, 1333 (1985).Google Scholar
- 14.S.B. Di Cenz P.A. Bennett, D. Tribula, P. Thiry, G.K. Wertheim and J.E. Rowe, Phys. Rev. B31, 2330 (1985).Google Scholar