Functions of the erbA and erbB Oncogenes in Avian Erythroblatosis
The avian erythroblastosis virus (AEV) induces an acute erythro id leukemia and sarcomas in virus—infected chickens. AEV strain ES4 was isolated already during the thirties by Engelbreth-Holm by serial passage of a weak leukemia inducing virus (RAV1) in chicks. During the mid—seventies T. Graf demonstrated that a biologically cloned AEV causes both types of diseases, and transforms erythroblasts as well as fibroblasts in vitro.
KeywordsToxicity Tyrosine Leukemia Sarcoma Prolactin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Damm K, Beug H, Graf T and Vennström B (1986) Cooperativity between the oncogenes of avian erythroblastosis virus (AEV): a mutant v-erbB gene defective in erythroblast transformation can be fully complemented by a highly active v-erbA gene. EMBO J 6:375–382Google Scholar
- Lax I, Johnsson A, Sap J, Ullrich A, Vennström B, Givol D and Schlessinger A (1988) Mol Cell Biol. submittedGoogle Scholar
- Munoz A, Zenke M, Gehring U, Sap J, Beug H and Vennström B (1987) Characterization of the hormone—binding domain of the chicken c-erbA/thyroid hormone receptor protein. EMBO J in pressGoogle Scholar
- Scotting P, Vennström B, Jansen M, Graf T, Beug H and Hayman M (1987) Common site of mutation in the erbB gene of avian erythroblastosis virus mutants that are temperature sensitive for transformation. Oncogene Reserach 1:265–278Google Scholar
- Ullrich A, Coussens L, Hayflick JS, Dull TJ, Gray A, Tarn AW, Lee J, Yarden Y, Libermann TA, Schlessinger J, Downward J, Mayes ELV, Whittle N, Waterfield MD and Seeburg PH (1984) Human epidermal growth factor receptor cDNA sequence and aberrant expression of the amplified gene in A431 epidermoid carcinoma cells. Nature 309:418–425PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zenke M, Kahn P, Disela C, Vennström B, Leutz A, Hayman M, Choi HR, Yew N, Engel J and Beug H. Arrest of erythroid differentiation by the v-erbA oncogene: Negative control of anion transporter gene expression. Cell, in press.Google Scholar