Magnetic Fields of Galaxies
Intensity of galactic magnetic field is minute. it is measured in microgausses. However, the field has a record scale measured in ki-loparsecs. (Unfortunately, the Guinness book does not mention this giant magnet.) To create B = 2 µGauss in a disk of R = 15 kpc in radius and h = 0.4 kpc in half-thickness one needs an electromotive force of about BRh/ct = 1010Volts acting for t = 1010years. F.Hoyle, who first noted the fact, did not see any other possibility except the idea of the relic origin of the galactic magnetic field.
KeywordsSpiral Galaxy Galactic Disk Dynamo Action Axisymmetric Mode Initial Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ya.B. Zeldovich, A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff: Magnetic Fields in Astrophysics Gordon-Breach, New York, London, Paris 1983 )Google Scholar
- 6.A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff, A.M. Shukurov: In Plasma Astrophysics, Proc. Varenna-Abastumani Workshop, Sukhumi (ESA Publ. 1986)Google Scholar
- 8.Yu.S. Baryshnikova, A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff, A.M. Shukurov: Generation of Large-scale Magnetic Fields in Spiral Galaxies, Preprint ( Space Research Institute, Moscow, 1986 )Google Scholar
- 10.R.Beck: In Proc. IAU Symp.No.100, p.159 (Reidel, Dordrecnt 1983)Google Scholar
- 12.R.D. Dagkesamanski, V.R. Shutenkov: Preprint (Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow 1985), submitted to Pisma Astron. J.Google Scholar
- 13.Y.Sofue, H.Hirabayashi, K.Akabane, M.Inoue, T.Handa, N.Nakai: Preprint (NRO, Report No.31, 1984), submitted to Publ. Astron. Soc. JapanGoogle Scholar
- 14.N.I. Kleeorin, A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff: In Plasma Astrophysics, Proc. Varenna-Abastumani Workshop, Sukhumi (ESA Publ. 1986)Google Scholar