Magnetic Fields of Galaxies
Intensity of galactic magnetic field is minute. it is measured in microgausses. However, the field has a record scale measured in ki-loparsecs. (Unfortunately, the Guinness book does not mention this giant magnet.) To create B = 2 µGauss in a disk of R = 15 kpc in radius and h = 0.4 kpc in half-thickness one needs an electromotive force of about BRh/ct = 1010Volts acting for t = 1010years. F.Hoyle, who first noted the fact, did not see any other possibility except the idea of the relic origin of the galactic magnetic field.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ya.B. Zeldovich, A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff: Magnetic Fields in Astrophysics Gordon-Breach, New York, London, Paris 1983 )Google Scholar
- 6.A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff, A.M. Shukurov: In Plasma Astrophysics, Proc. Varenna-Abastumani Workshop, Sukhumi (ESA Publ. 1986)Google Scholar
- 8.Yu.S. Baryshnikova, A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff, A.M. Shukurov: Generation of Large-scale Magnetic Fields in Spiral Galaxies, Preprint ( Space Research Institute, Moscow, 1986 )Google Scholar
- 10.R.Beck: In Proc. IAU Symp.No.100, p.159 (Reidel, Dordrecnt 1983)Google Scholar
- 12.R.D. Dagkesamanski, V.R. Shutenkov: Preprint (Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow 1985), submitted to Pisma Astron. J.Google Scholar
- 13.Y.Sofue, H.Hirabayashi, K.Akabane, M.Inoue, T.Handa, N.Nakai: Preprint (NRO, Report No.31, 1984), submitted to Publ. Astron. Soc. JapanGoogle Scholar
- 14.N.I. Kleeorin, A.A. Ruzmaikin, D.D. Sokoloff: In Plasma Astrophysics, Proc. Varenna-Abastumani Workshop, Sukhumi (ESA Publ. 1986)Google Scholar