Spatial kd-Tree: A Data Structure for Geographic Database
Geographic objects in two dimensional space are usually represented as points, lines, and regions. To retrieve these data objects from the database efficiently according to their spatial locations and spatial relationships, an efficient indexing mechanism is necessary. The kd-trees proposed in the literature are either unsuitable for indexing non-zero size objects such as line and region or require duplication of indexes. In this paper an alternative index structure called spatial kd-tree is proposed to facilitate the processing of queries concerning geographic information. The spatial kd-tree partitions a set of records on two dimensional space into small groups based on their spatial proximity. The structure not only provides efficient retrieval of objects but also maintains high storage efficiency.
Keywordskd-tree data structure associative search geographic database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bent79]Bentley, J.L.Multidimensional Binary Search Trees in Database Application, IEEE Trans, on Soft. Eng., Vol. SE-5, No. 4, 1979(July), pp 333–340.Google Scholar
- [BeFr79]Bentley, J.L. and Friedman, J.H.Data Structures for Range Searching, Computing Survey, Vol. 11, No. 4, (Dec) 1979.Google Scholar
- [ChFu79]Chang, J.M. and Fu, K.S. Extended K-D Tree Database Organization: A Dynamic Multi-Attribute, Clustering Method”, IEEE Compsac, 1979, pp 39–43.Google Scholar
- [Gutt84]Guttman, A.R-Trees: A Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial Searching, SIGMOD 84, pp 47–57.Google Scholar
- [Knuth73]Knuth, D.E. Sorting and Searching in the series of The Art of Computer Programming, Vol 3 Addison Wesley, Reading 1973.Google Scholar
- [Krie82]Kriegel, H.P. Variants of Multidimensional B-Trees as Dynamic Index Structure for Associative Retrieval in Database System, Proc. of the 8th Conf. on Graphtheoretic Concepts in Computer Science, Hanser Publishing Company, pp 110–128, 1982.Google Scholar
- [OuSc81]Ouksel, M. and Scheuermann, P. Multidimensional B-Trees: Analysis of Dynamic Behavior, BIT 1981, pp 401–418.Google Scholar
- [Rob81]Robinson, J.T. The K-D-B-Tree: A Search Structure for Large Multidimensional Dynamic Indexes, SIGMOD, 1981, pp 10–18.Google Scholar
- [SDMD87]Sacks-Davis, R. and McDonell, K.J. GEOQL - A Query Language for Geographic Information Systems, Forthcoming Monash Technical Report, 1987.Google Scholar