Mucous cysts, originally described by Hyde in 1883, are relatively uncommon benign tumours, also known as mucinous cysts of the fingers, synovial pseudocysts of the skin or periungual cysts. Although considered by some (Newmeyer et al. 1974) as a simple variety of synovial cysts, they exhibit a certain number of peculiarities that justify separate study.
KeywordsMethylene Blue Synovial Cyst Mucoid Degeneration Mucinous Cyst Myxomatous Degeneration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arner O, Lindholm A, Romanus R (1956) Mucous cysts of fingers. Acta Chir Scand 3: 314–321Google Scholar
- Boyes JH (1970) Tumors. In: Bunnell S (ed) Surgery of the hand. 5th edn. Lippincott, Philadelphia Toronto, pp 666–710Google Scholar
- Cooley SGE (1964) Tumors of the hand and forearm. In: Converse JM (ed) Reconstructive plastic surgery. Saunders, Philadelphia London, pp 1740–1786Google Scholar
- Eaton RG, Dobranski Al, Littler JW (1972) Marginal osteophyte excision in the treatment of mucous cyst. 27th Annual Meeting American Society Surgery Hand, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- Gross RE (1937) Recurring myxomatous cutaneous cysts of fingers and toes. Surg Gynecol Obstet 65: 289–302Google Scholar
- Hyde JN (1883) Practical treatise on diseases of skin for use of students and practitioners. Lear, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Johnson WC, Graham JH, Helwig EB (1965) Cutaneous myxoid cyst. A clinicopathological and histochemical study. JAMA 191/1:15–20, 109–114.Google Scholar
- King ESJ (1951) Mucous cysts of skin and subcutaneous tissues. Aust NZ J Surg 21: 122–129Google Scholar
- Kleinert H, Kutz J, Fishman J, McCraw L (1972) Etiology and treatment of the so-called mucous cyst of the finger. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 54 /7: 1455–1458Google Scholar
- Posch JL (1956) Tumors of the hand. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 38: 517–539Google Scholar
- Woodburne AR (1947) Myxomatous degeneration cysts of skin and subcutaneous tissues. Arch Dermatol 56: 407–418Google Scholar