Quantum Treatment of Amplified Spontaneous Emission in High-Gain Free-Electron Lasers
The existence of a collective instability for an unbunched, monokinetic electron beam and no field excitation leads to an exponential growth of radiation in the free-electron laser (FEL) process. A high-gain FEL has been recently operated at Livermore in this amplified spontaneous emission regime. We have developed a fully quantum treatment which includes the initial stage of this regime so that we can describe the onset of the process, evaluate the effect of fluctuations on the build-up time and the power level of radiation, and give the photon statistics. In a proper limit of our treatment we recover the classical results in which the source of fluctuations is the electron shot-noise.
KeywordsMicrowave Coherence Lution Dition Mandel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.4C.C. Shih, A. Yariv: ibid., 1387 (1981)Google Scholar
- 6.8J.M.J. Madey, C. Pellegrini (eds.): Free Electron Generation of Extreme Ultraviolet Coherent Radiation (American Institute of Physics, New York 1984)Google Scholar
- 6.12A. Gover: In [Ref. 6.8, p. 144];Google Scholar
- 6.12J. Benson, J.M.J. Madey: In [Ref.6.8, p. 173];Google Scholar
- 6.15A. Renieri: In [Ref. 6.8, p. 1];Google Scholar
- 6.15W.B. Colson: In [Ref. 6.8, p. 260]Google Scholar
- 6.16The inclusion of space-charge sets a lower limit to the instability region [6.6]Google Scholar
- 6.17R. Bonifacio, F. Casagrande, G. Casati, S. Celi: In Coherence and Quantum Optics V, ed. by L. Mandel, E. Wolf (Plenum, New York 1984) p. 801Google Scholar
- 6.19R. Bonifacio, F. Casagrande: In Coherence and Collective Properties in the Interaction of Relativistic Electron Beams and Electromagnetic Radiation, ed. by R. Bonifacio, F. Casagrande, C. Pellegrini (North-Holland, Amsterdam 1985) p. 36Google Scholar
- 6.20R.J. Glauber: In Laser Handbook, ed. by. F.T. Arecchi and E.O. Schulz-Dubois (North- Holland, Amsterdam 1972) p.1Google Scholar