Function of the Genetic Material: Structure and Function of Elements Controlling Transcription in Lower Eukaryotes
The advances in gene technology with eukaryotic systems during the past 5 years has led to a considerable number of novel aspects on the function of DNA sequences which control transcription (promoters, terminators, regulators) of nuclear genes in lower eukaryotes. The mass of findings with regard to gene regulation has been obtained in baker’s yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and in a few other fungi and yeasts. From these studies it became very obvious that there are some basic differences in the mechanism of mRNA initiation and its regulation between prokaryotes and eukaryotes. This might not be surprising since prokaryotes lack an equivalent of the eukaryotic chromatin and a nucleus. However, in both systems it is a question of protein-nucleic acid interaction; that is to say the differences currently emerging can be largely viewed as variations of the same subject: how does a protein (RNA polymerase or a regulatory protein) recognize a specific site among thousands of other sites on the DNA.
KeywordsTranscription Initiation Yeast Gene Lower Eukaryote Prokaryotic Gene TATA Sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boeke, J.D., Garfinkel, D.J., Styles, C.A., Fink, G.R.: Cell 40, 491– 500 (1985)Google Scholar
- Brand, A.H., Breeden, L., Abraham, J., Sternglanz, R., Nasmyth, K.: Cell 41, 41–48 (1985)Google Scholar
- Hartshorne, T.A., Blumberg, H., Young, E.T.: Nature (London) in press (1986)Google Scholar
- Kellermann, E., Seeboth, P.G., Hollenberg, C.P.: submitted (1986)Google Scholar
- Kingsman, S.M., Kingsman, A.J., Dobson, M.J., Mellor, J., Roberts, N.A.: Biotech. Genet. Eng. Rev. 3, 337–416 (1985).Google Scholar
- Oshima, Y.: 159–180 in: Molecular Biology of the Yeast Saccharomyces, eds. J. Strathern, E. Jones, J.R. Broach, Vol. I. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press 1982.Google Scholar
- Roman, H.: 1–10 in: Molecular Biology of the Yeast Saccharomyces, eds. J. Strathern, E. Jones, J.R. Broach, Vol. I. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press 1982.Google Scholar
- Sentenac, A., Hall, B.D.: 561–606 in: Molecular Biology of the Yeast Saccharomyces, eds. J. Strathern, E. Jones, J.R. Broach, Vol. II. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press 1982Google Scholar
- Shepherd, J.C.W., Mcginnis, W., Carrasco, A.E., de Robertis, E.M., Gehring, W. : Nature (London) 310, 70–71 (1 983)Google Scholar
- Williamson, V.M.: Int. Rev. Cy tol. 83, 1–25 (1983).Google Scholar