One Generalized Approach to Protocol Conversion
Though there are many protocol converters on the market, [1, 2], the general treatment of protocol conversion has been published only recently  But with the heterogeneity of computer networks growing despite the remarkable advances in network strandards the topic of protocol conversion becomes more and more important, and, therefore, it deserves more and diversified attention. This contribution approaches the protocol conversion problem from the point of view of communication functions, and methods (algorithms, techniques) of communication functions , taking into account the hierarchical relations  existing among communication protocols, communication functions, and methods of communication functions. The approach is generalized in the sense that overall possibilities are investigated, and abstract level classification of protocol differences is introduced.
KeywordsBinary Relation Network Architecture Communication Protocol Communication Function Protocol Difference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BRACKER, W. E. Jr.: Surveying of protocol conversion vendors’ offerings. Data Comm., 1983, Aug., No.8, pp. 89–101Google Scholar
- MIER, E. E.: Protocol converters: Washing away network incompatibilities. Data Comm., 1980, Febr., No.2, pp.22–23Google Scholar
- GREEN, P. E. Jr.: Protocol conversion. IEEE Trans. on Comm. 1986, COM-34, March, No.3, pp.257–268Google Scholar
- PUŽMAN, J. - Pořĭzek, R.: Communication control in computer networks John Wiley Sons, Chichester 1980Google Scholar
- POŘÍZEK, R.: One relational model of layered network architectures. In: Computer Network Usage: Recent Experience. Csaba, I.-Tarnay, K. -Szentivanyi, T. Eds., Proc. COMNET’85, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1986, pp.429–436Google Scholar
- ISO 7498 Information Processing Systems—Open Systems Interconnection Basic Reference Model. ISO, 1983Google Scholar
- IDEGUCHI, T. - MIZUNO, T. - MATSUNAGA, H.: Automatic implementation of communication protocols. ACM Computer Commun. Review SÏGDC, 1981, No.1, pp.40–56.Google Scholar