Induction of Cytochrome P-450 Mediated Mono-Oxygenase Reactions and Conjugation Activities in Freshwater Crayfish (Astacus astacus)
The inducibility of the freshwater crayfish (Astacus astacus) bio-transformation enzymes with model inducers (Aroclor 1254, β-Naphthoflavone, Phenobarbital) were investigated three days after intra cephalothoracic injection in the fasting crayfish at 5 °C. Of the monooxygenase activities, 7-ethoxycoumar in 0-deethylase increased in the hepatopancreas significantly (p < 0.05) after ß-naphthoflavone administration. Benzo(a)pyrene hydroxylase did not change. Aroclor 1254 and phenobarbital injection elevated hepatopancreatic glutathione S-transferase activity (p < 0.05).
Key wordsFreshwater crayfish (Astacus astacus) Cytochrome P-450 Biotransformation Induction Aroclor 1254 β-Naphthoflavone Phenobarbital
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahokas JT, Pelkonen O, Kärki NT (1977) Xenobiotic metabolism in fish. Xenobiotica 7: 635–641Google Scholar
- Airaksinen M, Valkama EL, Lindqvist OV (1977) Distribution of DDT in the crayfish Astacus astacusL. in acute test. In: Lindqvist OV (ed) Freshwater crayfish 3. Kuopio, Finland, pp 349–356Google Scholar
- Andersson T, Koivusaari U (1985) Influence of environmental temperature on the induction of xenobiotic metabolism by β-naphthoflavone in Rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). Submitted for publication in Toxicol. Appl PharmacolGoogle Scholar
- Brattsten LB, Evans CK, Bonetti S, Zalkow LH (1984) Induction by carrot allelochemicals of insecticide-metabolizing enzymes in the southern armyworm (Spodoptera eridania). Comp Biochem Physiol 77C: 29–37Google Scholar
- Lindström-Seppä P, Koivusaari U, Hänninen O (1982) Cytochrome P-450 in the hepatopancreas of freshwater crayfish Astacus astacusL. In: Hietanen E, Laitinen M, Hänninen O (eds) Cytochrome P-450, biochemistry, biophysics, and environmental implications. Elsevier Biomedical Press, pp 251–254Google Scholar
- Pickett CB, Telakowski-Hopkins CA, Ding GJ, Argenbright L (1984) Rat liver glutathione S-transferase. Complete nucleotide sequence of a glutathione S-transferase mRNA and the regulation of the Ya, Yb, and Yc mRNAs by 3-methylcholanthrene and phenobarbital. J Biol Chem 259: 5182–5188PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Singer SC, March PE, Gonsoulin F, Lee RF (1980) Mixed function oxygenase activity in the blue crab, Callinectes sapidus: Characterization of enzyme activity from stomach tissue. Comp Biochem Physiol 65C: 129–134Google Scholar