Freshwater Runoff Control of the Spatio-Temporal Distribution of Phytoplankton in the Lower St.Lawrence Estuary (Canada)
Sampling carried out in the Lower St.Lawrence Estuary reveals a strong influence of freshwater runoff on the spatiotemporal distribution of phytoplankton. At high discharge rates (spring and fall) the whole Lower Estuary forms a single fresh-water plume and phytoplankton distribution is mainly controlled by dilution and advective processes. At low discharge rates (summer) the two main freshwater sources form two geographically localized plumes with different physical and biological characteristics.
KeywordsPhytoplankton Growth Freshwater Discharge Photic Zone Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning Surface Mixed Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bugden, G.L., B.T. Hargrave, M.M. Sinclair, C.L. Tang, J.C. Therriault, and P.I. Yeats. 1982. Freshwater runoff effects in the Marine Environment: The Gulf of St.Lawrence example. Can. Tech. Rept. Pish. Aquat. Sci. No 1078, 89 pp.Google Scholar
- Lorenzen, C.J., 1972. Extinction of light in the ocean by phytoplankton. J. Cons. int. Explor. Mer. 36: 262–267.Google Scholar
- Riley, G.A., 1957. Phytoplankton of the north central Sargasso sea. Limnol. Oceanogr., 2: 252–270.Google Scholar
- Skreslet, S., 1976. Influence of freshwater outflow from Norway on recruitment to the stock of Arctic-Norwegian cod (Gadus morhua), In Fresh Water on the Sea, S. Skreslet, R. Leineb, J.B.L. Mattews and E. Sakshaug (Eds), The association of Norwegian Oceanographers, Oslo, p. 233–237.Google Scholar
- Steven, D.M., 1975- Biological production in the Gulf of St.Lawrence. p. 229–248. In T.W.M. Cameron (ed)., Energy flow its biological dimensions. A summary of the IBP in Canada 1964–1974. Ottawa, Royal Society of Canada. 319 pp.Google Scholar
- Therriault, J.C. and M. Levasseur, 1985- Control of phytoplankton production in the Lower St.Lawrence Estuary: Light and Freshwater runoff. Naturaliste Can. 112: 77–96.Google Scholar