Nd-YAG Lasers in the Treatment of Cardiac Arrhythmias
At the beginning of arrhythmias surgery era the heart conduction pathways were interrupted, ligated or cauterized under conditions of cardiopulmonary bypass;lately cryotechnique has been successfully used for the destruction of the His bundle as well as for anomalous bundles and ectopic foci(1–3). It allows also to perform operations on the working heart without extracorporeal circulation (4). The least traumatic has become the operation for the His bundle ablation by direct electric current shock via electrode introduced transvenously(5) In search of less traumatic ways for destructing heart conduction pathways we’ve started investigations on the laser use,In 1965 first experimental operations for the His bundle destruction by C02 laser beam were reported(6).We gave preference to Nd-YAG laser for following reasons:1)Nd-YAG laser irradiation is relatively scarcely absorbed by biological tissues, thus, contrary to C02 laser,deep tissue’s coagulation is achieved, what is necessary condition for ablation of the heart conduction pathways;2)radiation of 1,064M is led through a thin flexible quartz fiber, what is of great importance in case of employing a transvenous technique.
KeywordsLaser Beam Extracorporeal Circulation Atrial Wall Electrical Isolation Laser Coagulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Harrison L. Gallagher J. et al.: Circulation, 55, 463 (1977)Google Scholar
- (2).Bredikis J., Bukauskas F. et al.: Khirurgia (Moskva)5,3,(1983)Google Scholar
- (3).Gallagher J., Anderson R. et al.: Circulation, 57, 190 (1978)Google Scholar
- (4).Bredikis J., Zhebrauskas R. et al.: Khirurgia (Moskva) 3, 80, (1979)Google Scholar
- (6).Naprstek Z, In: Digest 7th internat. conf. medical and biological. engineering. Ed. B. Jacobson, Stockholm, 1967, P. 163Google Scholar
- (7).Obelienius Y., Knepa A. et al.: In press in Lasers in surg. med.Google Scholar
- (8).Bredikis J., Obelienius V. et al.: In:Abstr. 2-nd Conference of Lithuanian cardiological society, Kaunas,1984, p.77 (in Rus.)Google Scholar
- (9).Bredikis J. Obelienius V. et al.: Kardiologiia (Moskva), 5, 98 (1985)Google Scholar
- (11).Obelienius V., Knepa A. et al.: In press in Lasers in surg. med.Google Scholar