Biological Activities of a Human Pluripotent Hemopoietic Colony-Stimulating Factor
As described elsewhere in this volume by Welte et al., a human pluripotent hemopoietic colony-stimulating factor (CSF) was purified to apparent homogeneity from media conditioned by the human bladder Carcinoma cell line, 5637. The purified material supports colony formation in vitro from human multipotential (CFUGEMM), early erythroid (BFU-E), granulocyte and monocyte (CFU-G, M) progenitor cells4. A murine CSF, Interleukin 3 or multi-CSF, with similar activities on normal mouse bone marrow [1, 2], has recently been purified  and genetically cloned . Interleukin 3 was originally detected by its ability to induce 20-alpha-C) H-steroid dehydrogenase (20aSDH) in cultured spieen cells of nu/nu mice . Later in it was discovered to have biological activities on wide range of hemopoietic cells: progenitor cells of erythrocytes, megakaryocytes, granulocytes, monocytes and eosinophils, mast cells and their precursors, and possibly lymphocytes [2, 6–8]. Since come activities of Interleukin 3 and pluripotent CSF, or Pluripoietin, on hemopoietic progenitor cells appeared similiar, we screened for additional biological effects of Pluripoietin.
KeywordsHemopoietic Cell Normal Human Bone Marrow Murine Mast Cell Hemopoietic Progenitor Cell Human Bladder Carcinoma Cell Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Razin E, Ihle JN, Seidin D, Mencia-Huerta JM, Katz HR, Leblanc PA, Hein A, Caulfield JP, Austen KF, Stevens RL. Interleukin 3: a differentiation and growth factor for the mouse mast cell that contains chondroitin sulfate E proteoglycan. J Immunol 132: 1479–1486Google Scholar
- 9.Lu L, Broxmeyer HE, Meyers PA, More MAS, Thaler T (1983) Association of cell cycle expression of Ia-like antigenic determinants on normal human multipotential (CFU-GEMM) and erythroid ( BFU-E) progenitor cells with regulation in vitro by acidic isoferritins. Blood 61: 250–256Google Scholar
- 11.Platzer E, Welte K, Gabrilove JL, Lu L, Nathan CF, Mertelsmann R, Moore MAS (to be published) Biological activities of a human pluripotent colony stimulating factor on normal and leukemic cellsGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wagemaker G, Dorssers L (1984) Properties of purified stem cell activating factor (SAF) and its use for selective multiplication of stem cells for bone marrow transplantation in mice. Exp Hematol 12: 454 (abstract 247)Google Scholar
- 19.Tertian G, Yung YP, Guy-Grand D, Moore MAS (1980) Long-term culture of murine mast cells. I. Description of a growth factor dependent in vitro culture technique. J Immunol 127: 788–794Google Scholar
- 20.Yung YP, Eger R, Tertian G, Moore MAS (1981) Long-term in vitro culture of murine mast cells, II. Purification of a mast cell growth factor and its dissociation from TCGF. J Immunol 12: 794–799 422Google Scholar