Fat Metabolism in the Critically Ill
Sir David Cuthbertson has described two consecutive metabolic phases taking place after severe injury and/or during major sepsis :
the initial ebb phase of variable duration, characterized by low cardiac output and tissue perfusion and during which most cellular functions are depressed. During this phase, catecholamine release by the adrenals and the sympathetic nervous system is high while insulin release is virtually abolished.
KeywordsHigh Density Lipo Massive Infusion Metabolic Utilization Adipose Tissue Triglyceride Exogenous Particle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cuthbertson DP (1932) Q J Med 1: 233Google Scholar
- 2.Carpentier YA, et al (1984) Am J Physiol 247: E405–411Google Scholar
- 4.Wolfe RR (1984) data presented at the Symposium “The Scientific Basis of the Care of the Critically 111”, Manchester (United Kingdom)Google Scholar
- 10.Carpentier YA, et al (1981) Acta Chir Belg 2–3: 141–144Google Scholar
- 17.Deckelbaum R (1984) Communication presented at the 6th ESPEN Congress, MilanGoogle Scholar
- 18.Kasry A (1984) Communication presented at the 6th ESPEN Congress MilanGoogle Scholar