Mathematical Optimization Techniques for Moving Field Radiation Treatment Design
The design of treatment for external beam radiotherapy is a complex process that requires a knowledge of physics, anatomy, and mathematics. For a particular case, the design of treatment reduces to developing the most appropriate dose distribution which is affected by a variety of factors including radiation attenuation and scatter, tissue inhomogeneities, and patient contour variations. The variables in the design process include the beam sizes and entry angles, energy types, wedge and block corrections, and differential weightings of the various beams. The purpose of this paper is to summarize a body of work on mathematical optimization techniques for treatment design, and to demonstrate a mathematical model for the design of treatment using moving field techniques.
KeywordsAttenuation Cobalt Oncol Assure Stein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bahr GK, Kereiakes JG, Horwitz H, Finney R, Galvin J, Goode K (1968) The method of linear programming applied to radiation treatment planning. Radiol 91: 686–693Google Scholar
- Bourgat JF, Rivier M, Dutreix A, Bernard D (1974) Optimisation par ordinateur du traitement en telecobaltherapie. J Rad Elec 55:775–779Google Scholar
- Cohen C, Stein J (1978) Multi-purpose optimization system, User’s guide, version Northwestern UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Hodes L (1974) Semi-automatic optimization of external beam radiation treatment planning. Radiol 110: 191–196Google Scholar
- Klepper LY (1966) The use of linear programming methods and electronic computers in selecting optimum irradiation contours for the teletherapy of malignant tumors. Medskage Rad 5: 8–16Google Scholar
- Levene MB, Kijewski PK, Chin LM, Bjärngard BE, Hellman S (1978) Computer-controlled radiation therapy. Radiol 129: 769–775Google Scholar
- Sonderman D (1983) Mathematical optimization techniques for multiphase radiation treatment design. Proc of the 7th Ann Symp on Comp Applic in Med CareGoogle Scholar
- Sonderman D (1984) Mixed integer programming models for radiation treatment design. Submitted for publication, Med PhysGoogle Scholar
- Sonderman D, Abrahamson P (1984) Mathematical programming models for radiation treatment design. Accepted for publication, Oper ResGoogle Scholar