Data Handling and Dedicated Hardware for the Sort Problem
The significance of sorting in the field of data processing is reflected in the trend towards the support of sort operations by hardware specialized for this purpose. The applicable sort algorithms can vary in nature and must always be considered in close conjunction with the access characteristics of the data to be sorted and the possible representations of its sorted order. Three different implementations of special sort components are presented by way of example, whereby the concept of a serial 4-way merge technique is discussed in more detail within the context of the Relational Data Base Machine (RDBM).
KeywordsMain Memory Input String Sort Process Sort Procedure Sort Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- / AHLL 81 /.
- / DOHI 82 /.Dohi, Y, Y.: “Sorter using PSC linear Array”, Internal Report, Department of Comp.Sc., Carnegie-Mellon Univ., USA, 1982Google Scholar
- / FRIE 82 /.Friedland, D.B.: “Design, Analysis and Implementation of Parallel External Sorting Algorithms”, Comp.Sc.Tech.Rep. No. 464, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA, 1982Google Scholar
- / KNUT 73 /.Knuth, D.E.: “The Art of Computer Programming”, Vol. 3, Addison Wesley, Reading, Mass. 1973Google Scholar
- / LEIL 77 /.Leilich, H.–O.: “Eine Sortiermaschine”, Internal Report DA-77/10, Institut fuer DV-Anlagen, TU Braunschweig, W. Germany, 1977Google Scholar
- / SZHL 82 /.Schweppe, Zeidler, Hell, Leilich, et al.: “RDBM — A Dedicated Multiprocessor System for Data Base Management”, Proc. 2nd Intern. Workshop on DBM, San Diego, USA, 1982Google Scholar
- / TANA 82 /.Tanaka, Y, Y.: “A Data Stream Database Machine with Large Capacity”, Proc. 2nd Intern. Workshop on DBM, San Diego, USA, 1982Google Scholar
- / TEIC 81 /.Teich, W.: “The Sort Processor of the RDBM”, 6th Workshop on Comp. Arch. for Non-Numerical Processing, Hyeres, France, 9.–11.6.1981Google Scholar
- / YASU 82 /.