The Distribution of the Olivo-Cochlear Bundle and its Possible Role in Frequency/Intensity Coding
There are two methods by which sensory systems signal changes in the stimulus intensity — by an increase in the pulse rate within a fibre and by an increase in the number of fibres activated. There may also be a change from low threshold to high threshold channels. In general, as we proceed along a sensory pathway towards the cortex, the relationship between stimulus strength and discharge rate becomes less strong (Hilali and Whitfield, 1953; Katsuki et al., 1959) and may cease to be monotonic; thus the number and identity of the fibres becomes relatively more important.
KeywordsHair Cell Auditory Nerve Cochlear Nucleus Round Window Auditory Nerve Fiber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allanson, J.T., Whitfield, I.C. (1955). The cochlear nucleus and its relation to theories of hearing, In: Third London Symposium on In formation Theory, ( C. Cherry, ed), pp 269–286. London, Butterworth.Google Scholar
- Evans, E.F. (1975). Cochlear nerve and cochlear nucleus. In: Handbook of Sensory Physiology, (Vol. V, part 2) ( W.D. Keidel and W.D. Neff, eds) pp. 1–108, Berlin, Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Kiang, N.Y.S., Watanabe, T., Thomas, E.C., Clark, L.F. (1965). Discharge Patterns of Single Fibers in the Cat’s Auditory Nerve. Cambridge, Mass. M.I.T. Press.Google Scholar
- Nomoto, M., Suga, N., Katsuki, Y. (1964). Discharge pattern and inhibition of primary auditory nerve fibers in the monkey. J. Neurophysiol. 28, 768–787.Google Scholar
- Stopp, P.E., Whitfield, I.C. (1981). Differential sensitivity in the guinea-pig olivocochlear bundle. J. acoust. Soc. Amer. 70(1), S28 (A).Google Scholar
- Stopp, P.E. (1983). Cochleotopic organization of the olivo-cochlear bundle in the guinea pig as demonstrated by the fluorescent retrograde tracer, true blue. J. Physiol. In Press.Google Scholar
- Viemeister, N.F. (1974)..Intensity discrimination of noise in the presence of band-reject noise. J. acoust. Soc. Amer. 56, 1594–1600.Google Scholar
- Whitfield, I.C. (1956). Electrophysiology of the central auditory pathway. Brit. med. Bull. 12, 105–109.Google Scholar
- Whitfield, I.C. (1978). The neural code. In: Handbook of Perception. Vol. IV. ( E.C. Carterette and M.P. Friedman, eds) pp 163–183. New York, Academic Press.Google Scholar