Biopsy of Neoplasms of Bone and Soft Tissues: A Rational Approach
All protocols for the staging of primary malignant bone and soft tissue tumors require an accurate histologic diagnosis and grading of the lesion (American Joint Committee, 1977; Enneking et al, 1980). This latter information is always provided by a segment of tissue obtained by biopsy. Although this essential procedure has been demonstrated to be prone to certain hazards, discussion of biopsy procedures in standard textbooks and in the literature generally provides only limited information and directives (Brostrom et al, 1979; Jaffe, 1958; Moore et al, 1979; Schajowicz, 1981; Schajowicz and Derqui, 1968; Spjut et al, 1971; Wood and Binder, 1978).
KeywordsLymphoma Sarcoma Osteosarcoma Polymethylmethacrylate Osteomyelitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Joint Committee for Cancer Staging and End Result Reporting. Manual for Staging of Cancer. Chicago, Illinois, 1977, pp 153–158.Google Scholar
- 2.Brostrom, L.A., Harris, M.A., Simon, M.A., Cooperman, D.R., and Nelsonne, U.: The effect of biopsy on survival of patients with osteosarcoma. J. Bone Joint Surg. 61(B), 209, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.Dahlin, D.C.: Bone Tumors: General Aspects and Data on 6221 Cases. 3rd Ed., C.C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.Enneking, W.F., Spanier, S.S., and Goodman, M.A.: Current review: The surgical staging of musculoskeletal sarcoma. Joint Surg. 62(A), 1027, 1980. Concepts J. BoneGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hajdu, S.I.: Pathology of Soft Tissue Tumors. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.Jaffe, H.L.: Tumors and Tumerous Conditions of Bone and Joints. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 1958, pp 14–17.Google Scholar
- 7.Mankin, H.J., Lange, T.A., and Spanier, S.S.: The hazards of the biopsy in patients with malignant primary bone and soft tissue tumors. J. Bone Joint Surg. 64(A), 1121, 19–83.Google Scholar
- 9.Schajowicz, F.: Tumors and Tumor-like Lesions of Bone and Joints. Springer-Verlag , New York, 1981, pp 5–16.Google Scholar
- 11.Spjut, H.J., Dorfman, H.D., Fechner, R.E., and Ackerman, L.V.: Tumors of Bone and Cartilage. Washington Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1971, pp 26–28.Google Scholar
- 12.Wood, W.D., and Binder, S.C.: Biopsy principles. In, Cancer: A Manual for Practitioners, 5th Ed. Boston American Cancer Society, Massachusetts Division, 1978, pp 18–21.Google Scholar