Methods for Inferring Phylogenies: A Statistical View
I thought that I should start off by delivering some unpopular opinions. Although they have always seemed to me to be self-evident to the point of tedium, I find that these are wildly controversial, and that only a small minority of systematists agrees with them.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eck, R. V., and M. O. Dayhoff. 1966. Atlas of Protein Sequence and Structure 1966. National Biomedical Research Foundation, Silver Spring, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Edwards, A. W. F., and L. L. Cavalli-Sforza. 1963. The reconstruction of evolution. Ann. Human Genetics 27: 105 (also Heredity 18: 553).Google Scholar
- Edwards, A. W. F., and L. L. Cavalli-Sforza. 1964. Reconstruction of evolutionary trees. pp. 67–76 in Phenetic and Phylogenetic Classification, ed. V. H. Heywood and J. McNeill. Publ. No. 6, Systematics Association, London.Google Scholar
- Felsenstein, J. 1973a. Maximum-likelihood estimation of evolutionary trees from continuous characters. Amer. J. Human Genetics 25: 471–492.Google Scholar
- Garey, M. R., and D. S. Johnson. 1979. Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP- Completeness. W. H. Freeman, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Gomberg, D. 1966. “Bayesian” post-diction in an evolution process. University of Pavia, unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- Kashyap, R. L., and S. Subas. 1974. Statistical estimation of parameters in a phylogenetic tree using a dynamic model of the substitutional process. J. Theoretical Biology 91: 261–272.Google Scholar
- McMorris, F. R. 1975. Compatibility criteria for cladistic and qualitative taxonomic characters. pp. 399–415 in Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Numerical Taxonomy, ed. G. F. Estabrook. W. H. Freeman, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Neyman, J. 1971. Molecular studies of evolution: a source of novel statistical problems. pp. 1–27 in Statistical Decision Theory and Related Topics, ed. S. S. Gupta and J. Yackel. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Rao, C. R. 1965. Linear Statistical Inference and Its Applications. John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Thompson, E. A. 1975. Human Evolutionary Trees. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar