The Causes of Character Incompatibility
A character state tree can be construed as an hypothesis about evolutionary relationships, and as such it can be true or false. First I will make clear what assertions are hypothesized by a character state tree. These are the ways in which character state trees can be false. Then I will review how to determine whether two character state trees are logically compatible, and in cases when they are not, how to tell what assertions hypothesized by them are in contradiction. Finally, I will discuss how information revealed in the tests for compatibility of two character state trees can suggest ways to revise character state trees for subsequent re-evaluation.
KeywordsStratigraphy Coumarin Flavone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Estabrook, G. F. 1978. Some concepts for the estimation of evolutionary relationships in systematic botany. Syst. Bot. 3: 146–158Google Scholar
- Fitch, W. M. 1975. Toward finding the tree of maximum parsimony. pages 189–220 in G. F. Estabrook, ed. The Eighth International Conference on Numerical Taxonomy. W. H. Freeman, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Gates, B. 1982. A Monograph of Banisteriopsis and Diplopterys, Malpighiaceae. Flora Neotropica 30: 1–237Google Scholar
- Gottlieb, O. R. 1980. Micromolecular systematics principles and practice. pages 329–352 in F. A. Bisby, J. G. Vaughan, and C. A. Wright, eds. Chemosystematics Principles and Practice. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Hennig, W. 1966. Phylogenetic Systematics. (Transl. from German by D. D. Davis and R. Zangerl) U. of 1ll. Press, Urbana, ILGoogle Scholar
- Le Quesne, W. J. 1969. A method of selection of characters in numerical taxonomy. Syst. Zool. 18: 201–205Google Scholar
- Lyell, C. 1838. Elements of Geology. LondonGoogle Scholar
- Meacham, C. A. 1982. Theoretical and computational considerations of the compatibility of qualitative taxonomic characters, this volume.Google Scholar
- Meacham, C. A. 1980. Phylogeny of the Berberidaceae with an evaluation of classifications. Syst. Bot. 5: 149–172Google Scholar
- Popper, K. R. 1965. The Logic of Scientific Discovery. Harper Torchbooks, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Wilson, O. E. 1965. A consistency test for phylogenies based on contemporaneous species. Syst. Zool. 14: 214–220Google Scholar