Complications of External Fixation
In 1950, the American orthopedic community was surveyed to determine the rightful place of external skeletal fixation in the armamentarium of fracture management (Johnson and Stovall, 1950). The majority of surgeons queried had tried and discarded external skeletal fixation because of concern for the complications associated with external fixators. Nevertheless, there is currently a surge of interest among orthopedists for external skeletal fixation. One reason for this is the increase of open fractures caused by high-speed motor vehicle collisions, especially among motorcyclists. Modern external fixators, while more rigid and more versatile than their predecessors, have not eliminated the problems associated with their use. On the contrary, the complications associated with transcutaneous-transosseous pins are ever present and are common to all fixators, past, present, or future.
KeywordsExternal Fixation Radial Nerve Fixator Frame Fracture Callus Cancellous Bone Graft
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burny, F.: Elastic external fixation of tibial fractures. Study of 1421 cases. In, External Fixation, The Current State of the Art. Brooker, A. F., Jr. and Edwards, C. C. (eds.), Williams and Wilkins, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Green, S. A., and Bergdorff, T.: External fixation in chronic bone and joint infections: The Rancho experience. Orthop. Trans. 4, 337, 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.Green, S. A.: Complications of External Skeletal Fixation. C. C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois, 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.Johnson, H. F., Stovall, S. L.: External fixation of fractures. J. Bone Jt. Surg. 32A, 466, 1950.Google Scholar
- 7.Matthews, L. and Hirsch, C.: Temperatures measured in human cortical bone when drilling. J. Bone Jt. Surg. 54A, 297, 1972.Google Scholar
- 8.Perren, S. M.: Physical and biological aspects of fracture healing with special reference to internal fixation. Clin. Orthop. 138, 1975, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.Zbikowski, J. L.: Biocompression. In, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Hoffmann External Fixation: Vidal, J. (Ed.), Geneva, Diffinco, 1979.Google Scholar