VLSI Implementations of a Reduced Instruction Set Computer
A general trend in computers today is to increase the complexity of architectures commensurate with the increasing potential of implementation technologies. Consequences of this complexity are increased design time, more design errors, inconsistent implementations, and the delay of single chip implementation. The Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC) Project investigates a VLSI alternative to this trend. Our initial design is called RISC I.
KeywordsData Path Register File Chip Area VLSI Implementation Machine Cycle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Frank, E.H. and Sproull, R.F., “An Approach to Debugging Custom Integrated Circuits,” Carnegie-Mellon Computer Science Research Review 1979-80, pp. 21–36 (July, 1981).Google Scholar
- 2.Joy, W.N., Fabry, R.S., and Sklower, K., Seventh Edition, Virtual VAX-11 Vernon, Computer Science Division, Dept of EECS, U. C. Berkeley June, 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.Lattin, V.V., Bayliss, J.A., Budde, D.L, Colley, S.R., Cox, G.V., Goodman, A.L., Rattner, J.R., Richardson, W.S., and Swanson, R.C., “A 32b VLSI Micromainframe Computer System,” Proc. IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, pp. 110–111 (February, 1981 ).Google Scholar
- 4.Lattin, W.W., Bayliss, J.A., Budde, D.L., Rattner, J.R., and Richardson, W.S., “A Methodology for VLSI Chip Design,” Lambda, pp. 34–44 (Second Quarter, 1981 ).Google Scholar
- 5.Newton, A.R., Pederson, D.O., Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A.L., and Sequin, C.H., “Design Aids for VLSI: The Berkeley Perspective,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, (July 1961).Google Scholar
- 6.Ousterhout, J., “Caesar: An Interactive Editor for VLSI Circuits,” VLSI Design II(4)(Fourth Quarter, 1981). to appearGoogle Scholar
- 8.Patterson, D.A. and Sequin, C.H., “Design Considerations for Single-Chip Computers of the Future,” IEEE Transactions on Computers C-29(2) pp. 108–116 ( February 1980 ). Joint Special Issue on Microprocessors and Microcomputers.Google Scholar
- 9.Patterson, D.A. and Sequin, C.H., “RISC I: A Reduced Instruction Set VLSI Computer,” Proc. Eighth International Symposium on Computer Architecture, pp. 443–457, (May 1981).Google Scholar
- 10.Rattner, J.R.,Private Communication, August 1981Google Scholar