Classifying Rice Soils on the Basis of their Physiological Characteristics
With only a few exceptions, the rice soils usually manifest themselves by relatively big structural aggregates, which can only be partly pulverized by plowing during the growing season of upland crops usually in rotation with rice. The current literature consequently always deals with the structural forms of rice soil as being one of strictly hydrogenic in nature. Practically little has been said about the physicochemical reactions that are intervening in structure-forming processes. Questions thus arise as to what role the soil parent material plays in the genesis of rice soils, or why similar types of structural aggregates may differ widely in their rate of slaking in water. But till now there still remains much to be debated.
KeywordsPaddy Soil Rice Soil Soil Parent Material Purple Soil Upland Crop
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Hou K.C., Chang S.W., Studies on soil plasticity. Pochvovedenie, 5, 17–24 (1956). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- (2).Hou K.C., Chang S.W., Nature of exchangeable bases adsorbed on clay colloids in relation to soil plasticity. Trans. 4th Int. Congr. Soil Sci., 136–137 (1949).Google Scholar
- (3).Hou K.C., Huang J.H., Method of determining soil plasticity curves. Trans. 4th Int. Congr. Soil Sci. 44–46 (1949).Google Scholar
- (4).Hou K.C., Tao C.T., Differentiation of soil types by the use of plasticity method. Trans. 4th Int. Congr. Soil Sci., 339–342 (1949).Google Scholar
- (5).Yu Yuan-chu, Luo You-fang, Studies on the “tillering behaviour” of various types of purple soils (1965, ms.). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- (6).Zhang Xian-wan,p addy soils in Chengdu plain and their classification. In this Proceedings.Google Scholar
- (7).Chu L.T., Ma Y.T., Sung T.C., Hou K.C., The nomenclature of the various horizons of paddy soils. Special Soils Publication, China, Series B, 4, 85–91 (1938). (in Chinese with English summary)Google Scholar
- (8).Hou Guang-jiong(ed.), Essentials of the. Characteristics of Agricultural Soils in China. Chapt. 3 (1980, in press), (in Chinese)Google Scholar