Genetic Disorders of Cilia
Cilia in healthy mammals beat incessantly as long as the tissue is alive and oxygenated. It is hence easy to watch the regular ciliary activity and it is also easy to detect such disorders in man or animals in which the cilia are incapable of normal, co-ordinated movements. A light microscope is needed and is used for inspecting the ciliary activity on a biopsy. This technique could have been employed 150 years ago, from the time of the discovery of ciliated epithelia by J. E. Purkinje (Fig. 1), but has not come in use until recently. It remained for the geneticists and the cell biologists to discover that flagella and cilia can be paralyzed and malformed and that this will give rise to certain human diseases.
KeywordsMigration Agarose Carboxyl Electrophoresis Polypeptide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caleb M, Lecks H, South MA, Norman ME (1977) N Engl J Med 297: 1012–1013Google Scholar
- Gagnon C, Sherins RJ, Mann T, Bardin CW, Amelar RD, Dubin L (1980) In: Steinberger A, Steinberger E (eds) Testicular development, structure and functions. Raven Press, New York, pp 491–496Google Scholar
- Grimfield A, Tournier G, Jouannet P, Bisson JP, Salomon JL, Baculard A, Gerbeaux J (1979) Thorax 34: 709Google Scholar
- Jahresdoerfer R, Feldman PS, Rubel EW, Guerrant JL, Eggleston PA, Seiden RF (1979) Laryngoscope 89: 769–778Google Scholar
- Purkinje JE, Valentin G (1835) Commentatio physiologica de phenomeno motus vibratorii continui. WratislavGoogle Scholar
- Randall J, Starling D (1972) In: Beatty RA, Gluecksohn-Waelsch S (eds) The genetics of the spermatozoon. Department of Genetics, University of Edinburgh, pp 13–36Google Scholar
- Satir P, (1979) In: Fawcett DW, Bedford JM (eds) The spermatozoon. Urban and Schwarzenberg Inc, Baltimore, pp 81–90Google Scholar
- Schneeberger EE, McCormack J, Issenberg HJ, Schuster SR, Gerald PS (1980) J Ultrastruct Res, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Sleigh MA, Bell LGE (1980) In: Bittar EE (ed) Membrane structure and fuction, vol 3. John Wiley and sons Inc, New York, pp 93–126Google Scholar
- Svedbergh B, Johnsson V, Afzelius BA (1980) Albrecht v Graefes Arch Klin Ophtalmol (submitted to )Google Scholar
- Witman GB, Fay R, Plummer J (1977) Cold Spring Harbor Symp Quant Biol 41: 969 - 986Google Scholar