Ventricular CSF Pulse Pressure Amplitude: an Index of Intracranial Compliance
The precise dynamic etiology of ventriculomegaly in hydrocephalus has not been conclusively demonstrated. The need for such understanding is clear, however, for several reasons: (1) as a basis for the continued search for treatment of hydrocephalus by other than CSF shunting techniques; (2) for application in our continued efforts at early diagnosis of adult occult hydrocephalus in the presence of normal mean CSF pressure; and (3) as basic data in our continued search for a simple, quantitative method to differentiate arrested from active hydrocephalus without relying on extended observation times.
KeywordsCatheter Depression Rubber Respiration Syringe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bering, E.A., Jr.: Choroid plexus and arteriole pulsations of cerebrospinal fluid: Demonstration of the choroid plexus as a cerebrospinal fluid pump. Arch. Neurol. Psychiatry 73, 165–173 (1955)Google Scholar
- 4.Bering, E.A., Jr., Ingram, F.D.: The arteriole pulsations of the cerebrospinal fluid — its origin, configuration and possible clinical importance. Trans. Am. Neurol. Assoc. 49, 54 (1953)Google Scholar
- 6.Davson, H.: Dynamic aspects of cerebrospinal fluid. Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 14 (Suppl. 27), 1–5 (1972)Google Scholar
- 7.DuBouley, G., O’Connell, J.: Further investigations of pulsatile movements in the cerebrospinal fluid pathways. Acta Radiol. (Diagn.) (Stockh.) 13, 496–523 (1972)Google Scholar
- 8.Foltz, E.L., DeFeo, D., Lederhaus, S.: The CSF “pulse pressure” index in hydrocephalus with clinical applications of head wrapping therapy. Scientific Program Manuscripts, Vol. 43A–43 J. Am. Assoc. Neurol. Surg. 1976Google Scholar
- 9.Foltz, E.L.: Clinical studies in hydrocephalus. In: Cisternography and hydrocephalus: A symposium. Chapt. 16. Springfield, Ill.: Thomas 1972Google Scholar
- 10.Hakim, S.: Biomechanics of hydrocephalus. In: Cisternography and hydrocephalus: A symposium. Chapt. 3. Springfield, Ill: Thomas 1972Google Scholar
- 13.Kitano, M., Oldendorf, W.H., Casen, B.: The elasticity of the cranial blood pool. J. Nucl. Biol. Med. 5, 613–625 (1964)Google Scholar
- 15.Lederhaus, S.: Pulse pressure index (PPI) in normal and hydrocephalic dogs. Univ. Cal. Student Res. J. (1975)Google Scholar
- 16.Marmarou, A.: A theoretical and experimental evaluation of the cerebrospinal fluid systems. Drexel University, Ph. D. Thesis, 1973Google Scholar
- 17.Ryder, H.W., Espey, F.E., Kimbell, F.D.: The mechanism of change in cerebrospinal fluid pressure following an induced change in the volume of the fluid space. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 41, 423–438 (1953)Google Scholar
- 18.Ryder, H.W., Espey, F.E., Kimbell, F.D.: The elasticity of the craniospinal venous bed. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 42, 944 (1953)Google Scholar