Conceptualization and Awareness in Piaget’s Theory and Its Relevance to the Child’s Conception of Language
Two books by Piaget were recently published on the problem of “awareness,” each of them the result of a year’s work at the Centre d’Epistémologie Génétique: the first is called La prise de conscience (1974a)--literally translated “On becoming aware”--and the second is called Réussir et comprendre (1974b). Personally I think there are good reasons to be surprised at the choice of the topic “becoming aware.” On the one hand, this title could lead us to think that the work deals with the philosophical problem of “conciousness” for which introspection was supposed to provide the basic data. Would Piaget take introspection as a subject of experimental study? On the other hand, all Piaget’s work on cognitive development can be seen as the study of the child’s progress towards higher levels of conceptualization, and conceptualization at whatever level would seem to imply at least some degree of awareness. So why devote a number of experiments and a theoretical discussion to the specific problem of awareness?
KeywordsPhilosophical Problem Outer Form Boomerang Effect Conscious Conceptualization Intelligence Awareness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Inhelder, B., Sinclair, H., & Bovet, M. Apprentissage et structures de la connaissance. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 1974.Google Scholar
- Inhelder, B., & Chipman, H.H. (eds.), Piaget and his school. New York: Springer Verlag, 1976.Google Scholar
- Kaper, W. Kindersprachforschung mit Hilfe des Kindes: einige Erscheinungen der kindlichen Spracherwerbung erläutert im Lichte des vom Kinde gezeigten Interesses fzir Sprachliches, Groningen: Wolters, 1959.Google Scholar
- Moreno, L., Rayna, S., Sinclair, H., Stambak, M., & Verba, M. Les bébés et la logique, Cahiers du C.R.E.S.A.S., No. 14. Paris, 1976.Google Scholar
- Piaget, J. La prise de conscience. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 1974(a).Google Scholar
- Piaget, J. Réussir et comprendre. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 1974(b).Google Scholar